Almost last post of Explore th flavors, never imagined it be would this easy as I wasn’t prepared with the last 2 weeks posts. Since the list was ready I was able to pull it off decently. Y for yam, I decided make a simple yet delicious fry with yam. I have cooked yam frequently after my marriage, but suddenly one day, I got a bad throat-itching after eating yam, so I got scared and totally stopped buying yam, even for my hubby.
Yam is a safe veggie, if it is cooked well, though I knew this , I needed more time to understand and accept it and come out of fear. Now I m cooking it frequently, like how I used to do it previously.
I make yam masiyal, yam fry and sometimes a spicy kootu also. This yam fry is something loved amongst all the other dishes I make with them. My elder one loves it when served hot straight from the pan. I make this for his lunch for one of his stay back days, along with some jeera rice or coconut rice . It tastes divine with some hot rasam rice too! Do try and let me know how you liked it!
500 grams yam/chena/chenaikizhango
1/2 tsp – 3/4 tsp red chili powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp salt
2-3 tsp oil
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
A pinch of hing
3-4 curry leaves
- Remove hard outer skin of the yam using. Sharp knife. Cut them into thick slabs and further into thin strips and then into cubes.
- Take the cut yam into a microwave safe bowl, add water and rinse well. Take fresh water until the yam is submerged, add tumeric powder to it and mix well.
- Microwave cook at power 100 for about 16-18 minutes or until done. In my microwave it gets done by 16 minutes. The yam must be well cooked, if you press a yam cube with your fingers it should mash well. Drain the water completely.
- In a wide pan, add oil, splitter mustard seeds, add hing and curry leaves. Now add drained yam cubes to t. Do not disturb it for about a minute or two. Now add red chili powder and salt to it. Mix well, but gently, the yam Is already cooked, we are just seasoning it now.
- Once mixed let this cook in a medium flame until it gets crisp. Mix once in a while. It will take around 12-15 minutes in a medium flame, do not increase the flame or else it might burn. Once done, remove it and pack it as side for any rice dish.