For the frying the cauliflower
600 grams of cauliflower florets
½ cup Whole wheat flour
½ cup besan/gram flour
¼ cup rice flour
¼ cup corn flour
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon chili sauce
1 teaspoon red chili powder
½ teaspoon pepper powder
salt to taste
oil for deep frying
I dont use All purpose flour in my kitchen, so i have used a combination of flours for frying the cauliflower. You can use ¾ cup of all purpose flour and ¼ cup corn flour in place of the above flours!
For the saute
2 medium onions, finely chopped
¼ cup chopped spring onions
2 green chilies, slited lengthwise
2 fat cloves of garlic, minced
a small piece of ginger, finely chopped
2 teaspoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon tomato sauce ( i have use chili sauce)
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon freshly pounded black pepper
Fresh spring onions for garnish
Let us fry the cauliflower first.
- Take all the flours in a wide bowl, whisk well to combine. To thsi flour add red chili powder, pepper powder, soy sauce, chili sauce and around ½ cup to ¾ cup of water and make a thick batter.
- The batter should be neither too thick or too thin, the florets should get well coated with the batter.
- Clean and separate the cauliflower into bite-sized florets. Take water in a wide sauce pan and boil it. Once it comes to a rolling boil, remove it off the stove, add the florets to this water and let it sit for 2 minutes. Then drain the water completely, let the florets sit in the drainer until fried.
- Dip each floret into the batter and deep fry until golden brown. Again take care while deep frying, do not crowd the pan, then you might not get crispy florets. Keep the flame medium, while frying. Too high you might burn them, too low it will turn soggy, so medium is the best. Drain the golden brown florets on to a kitchen towel. Repeat the same with the rest of the florets.
- In a wide pan, heat oil, when it is hot, add chopped onions, chilies, garlic and ginger and saute until onions turn pink. Next add chopped spring onions to this and saute
- Add soy sauce, tomato sauce and vinegar to this and mix well and saute on high heat. Now add the deep fried florets to this and toss to combine.
- Finally finish off with pepper and fresh spring onions greens for garnish and take it off the stove.
- Serve it warm along with rice or enjoy it as such as a starter.