Mixed Nuts & seeds bar, a nutty, crunchy candy made of loads of nuts and seeds combined with butter & honey. These healthy granola bars are wonderful snack on the go and a lovely edible gift during festivities.
I planned to make 3 different candies for this week Blogging marathon. I wanted to make something similar to the gozinaki, the Georgian nut candy made with honey.
During that year i have made gozinaki many a times. It was such a hit amongst my friends. This time around, i wanted something that is chewy and the caramel getting stuck in your teeth kind of candy.
This mixed nuts and seeds bars recipe nails on that dot. My lil one was the first one to taste this and he loved that texture. The pull the caramel gives when you bite a chunk of this nutty goodness is delicious.
I have added all the nuts and seeds, i had in my pantry. When my fussy lil one can enjoy this, i bet any kid in the world would give this a try.
These granola bars make a great edible gift for parties and festivals. These bars also make a quick grab and go snack to munch on. They keep you full for a good 2 hours.
How to make these Granola Bars
I have used 250 grams of mixed nuts and few dried fruits and seeds to make these mixed nuts & seeds bars. The choice of nuts is personal, though i have used almonds, cashews, pistachios, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, melon seeds, flax seeds and chia seeds. Along with dried pineapple, dried mango, raisins, and dried cranberries.
First step to make these granola bars is to roast the nuts. i have oven roasted the nuts, you can also roast them on stove-top or in the microwave. Once roasted, let the nuts cool completely.
Cooling the nuts is very important, as they crunchy only when they cool well, or else you will end up with soggy bars. Once the nuts are cooled, add the dried fruits and seeds to this and give it a good mix.
Heat butter in a thick bottomed pan, once the butter melts, use a tsp of it to grease a flat tray, in which we are going to set the bars. Once the butter melts, add the honey to it. It will bubble up, add your choice of flavoring now, i added cardamom and clove powder, one can also use cinnamon and nutmeg.
After adding the flavorings, whisk it well and add the mixed nuts and fruits mix to this honey mixture and mix it well. Once the butter melts, you have to do the rest of the steps in quick successsion or else you might end up burning things. So keep all the ingredients nearby and start the candy making.
I forgot to add chia seeds to the mix so i added it finally and gave it good mix. Let the mixture be on the stove for 4- 5 miutes, keep stirring. Then take it off the stove, pour it on the greased tray. using a spatuala, smoothen the top and press it tight to the tray.
Let this sit for a minimum of 30 minutes. Then using a blunt knife make markings and cut them into long rectangles and again into squares. Store this candy bars in an air-tight container in the refrigerator.
Mixed Nuts & Seeds Bar | Granola Bars
- 250 grams Mixed nuts and seeds I have used almonds, cashewnuts, pistachios,pumpkin seeds, melon seeds, flax seeds
- 1 ring dried pineapple chopped into small squares
- 2 slices dried mango chopped into small squares
- 2 tbsp candied ginger
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp flax seeds
- 2 tbsp raisins
- 2 tbsp dried cranberries
- 2-3 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp honey
- 4-5 nos cardamom pods, seeds removed powdered
- 2-3 nos cloves powdered
- First get you nuts and seeds measured, chop them roughly. In an over-proof tray, tip in all the nuts, drizzle a tsp of oil on top and mix it with your hands. Preheat the oven to 180C and roast the nuts for 8-10 minutes.
- Temperature and timing vary from oven to oven, so keep an eye on the nuts from 8th minute. Once they are done, remove from the oven, let them cool completely before you use them in the recipe.
- To the roasted nuts, add choppedpineapple, chopped mango, candied ginger, chia seeds, raisins and cranberries.Mix them well.
- Keep a small tray greased with butter, to shap ethe nut candy bars
- Heat a heavy bottom pan, that would fit all the nuts, add honey and butter, keeping the flame simmer. The mixture will start bubbling up.
- When the honey and butter melts, add the cardamom & clove powder to it and whisk well.
- Add the nuts and seeds to it, and give it a brisk stir. Let it be on the stove for another 4-5 minutes.
- Take it off the stove, Pour this honey and nut mix to the buttered tray, smoothen the top with spatuala.
- Let this sit for a minimum of 30 minutes to set. I actually left in the fridge for it to set fast, as i had to click pictures before the light fades off.
- After the said time, loosen the edges of the candy and invert it onto a chopping board and cut them into squares.
- Refrigerate it in an air-tight container. Mine got over the same day as both my kiddos loved it.
- I have used cardamom & clove powder to flavor the bars, you can use cinnamon, nutmeg or even dry ginger powder.
- Be careful while working with the butter and honey mix, use a spatual to smoothen the candy as it will be very hot, touching the caramelized nuts might cause painful burn
- I refrigerated the nuts bar as it was made of honey and butter and the temperature here is too hot, i feared it might not hold shape.
If you have tried this recipe and like it, give it a star rating or let me know in the comments below. You could also share it with me on Instagram using #icampinmmykitchen and tagging me @priyasrinivasan.
You could follow me and my recipes on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | twitter