On the last day of he Combo meal theme, i m bringing you a simple falafel served with minty tangy yogurt, that can be served along with a flat bread like a wrap or can be devoured as such!!! Falafel, deep-fried chickpea patty is made using fava bean/broad beans/avarakkai/mochai in Egypt. What i love most is that delicious crispy coating of sesame seeds. It is not only eye-catchy but also tends a light crispy outer, to the softer falafel. We enjoyed ours for brunch, on a weekend morning, which are always lazy and late. These are perfect to be made on such days and keeps you filled till the late lunch
1 tinned can of fava beans (400 grams)
2 cloves of garlic crushed
handful of finely chopped spring onions,
handful of finely chopped fresh coriander,
½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 tablespoon gram flour
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
1 teaspoon cumin
3-4 nos red chilies
½ teaspoon whole peppercorns
Salt to taste
Oil, for frying (I used sunflower)
- Drain the fava beans well in a sieve or colander. Take it along with other ingredients , except for the sesame seeds and oil, into a food processor . Blitz the ingredients to a coarse paste and transfer it to a bowl.
- Divide the mixture into 16-18 pieces, about the size of a golf ball. Press them in-between your palms and make patties.
- Take around ¼ cup of sesame seeds on to a plate . Roll the patties on the sesame seeds on both the sides to coat them well. Place the coated patties on a flat plate and refrigerate them for around 15-20 minutes , so it firms up and ease the process of frying .
- To cook the falafel, Heat oil in a deep pan, to check whether it is ready, just drop a piece of falafel dough into hot oil, if it sizzles up and browns, then it is ready.
- Turn the heat down and start frying the falafel in batches, drop 2or 3 at a time, and fry. Cook each side until it is golden brown,flip them over and fry the other side. Serve with a minty yoghurt sauce and flatbread.
wow wow !!! that is super delicious... so loving the clicks and such a yumm combo!!
The Pumpkin Farm
ur teaser was good enough for headsup...the actual one is even better
Absolutely delicious falafels! The sesame seeds give them a beauty element...fantastic combo Priya!
Falafels looks so tempting .Love to see the sauce recipe also.
Sesame seeds are enhancing the temptation. Seeds must have given additional crunch to falafel.
Wow,falafels with fava beans looks absolutely gorgeous, now you are pulling me to make some..Love that sesame seeds crust..Pretty attractive combo Priya.
Love the sesame crunch on the top... amazing...
Very nicely done falafels...enjoyed your series Priya..
Falafels are my fav. Lovely
Very attractive falafels and it must be delicious with yogurt sauce Priya.
Sesame crusted falafel looks stunning Priya. You have captured it so nicely...
that crust on top looks stunning :-)) what can i sub fava beans with other than chickpeas ??
I love such quick and healthy dips !!
Love the sesame topping. Looks very appealing.
What a tempting plate of food. Falafel with sesame seeds looks so yummy!!
Priya .... stunningly beautiful and delicious too.
Wow they looks so beautiful with those sesame seeds and that yogurt sauce is my fav. looks yumm...
Nice one. That sesame seed coating is enhancing the looks of falafel besides adding the crunchiness.
like the twist on usual falafel with the sesame seeds must have given them a nice crunch