Tumeric & herbs lassi, a yogurt smoothie with fresh tumeric and herbs. A perfect coolant for the summer month with freshness of yogurt and immune boosting turmeric.
If things were normal, it would be regular school for kids, with school they have a routine. Now that has gone out of the window as the entire world, is staying at home to be safe. When you have your whole family working and studying from home, there is this constant “is there anything to eat” question. Naturally, people are bored and they are seeking comfort in food, thinking the boredom is hunger.
What i do these days at home is after breakfast i try to have a tall glass of spiced buttermilk. Though my lil one likes plain lassi, he gets bored to have it often. I m trying to add more flavors to simple lassi and make it interesting for them.
The advantage of lassi or yogurt smoothies is, it is versatile, as you can mix and match many flavors, it is filling, can be made sweet or savory and definitely a better option to junk.
Today’s recipe, Turmeric & herbs lassi, is a zesty combination of fresh turmeric and herbs blended with yogurt. This turmeric yogurt smoothie can be made for breakfast or can be enjoyed as a mid-morning snack.
- Fresh turmeric, I have used fresh turmeric root in the recipe, you can also use turmeric powder. But make sure the quality of the powder is good
- Fresh herbs, i have used fresh mint and coriander leaves in the recipe, you can avoid them too, then it would be plain turmeric and ginger lassi.
- Ginger, ginger adds a nice zing to the lassi. You can also use ginger powder here.
- Chili, green chili is optional. If making for adult, you can add, but if making for kids i would recommend not to add it.
- Fresh Yogurt, I have used fresh full fat, plain yogurt. We usually get fresh yogurt and buttermilk straight off the supermarket shelves. You can also use homemade.
Turmeric & Herbs Lassi
- ½ cup Fresh full fat yogurt plain
- ½ cup water
- 2 inch pieces of fresh turmeric root you can also use good quality turmeric powder
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger
- 2-3 sprigs fresh mint leaves
- handful of fresh coriander leaves
- ½ a greeh chili optional, see notes
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Wash all the ingredients. Peel the skin of turmeric root and ginger root.
- Take all the ingredients together in a blender jar and blend until smooth and frothy and serve immediately
- I have used fresh turmeric root in the recipe, you can also use good quality of turmeric powder
- The green chili used in the recipe is purely optional, if making for adults you can include, but for kids, i would recommend to avoid.
- The herbs used in the lassi is of your choice.
I make this fresh turmeric yogurt smoothie, whenever i get fresh turmeric from the market. Here is a list of more interest yogurt smoothie recipes from my kitchen
- Mango Lassi, lip-smacking yogurt smoothie with fresh mangoes
- Carrot & ginger lassi, a zingy and zesty lassi with fresh carrots
- Gooseberry yogurt smoothie, a powerhouse smoothie with indian gooseberries and yogurt
- Cucumber mint lassi, a classic lassi with cucumber and mint
- Celery & Mint lassi, a twist in the classic combintion of cucumber and mint, crunchy celery yogurt smoothie