Green peas masala, a mildly spicy and delcious gravy made of fresh green peas. This gravy pairs beautifully with rotis and simple one pot meals like jeera rice, ginger & garlic rice.
For a long time, I have never tried a subzi with green peas alone, always combined it with potatoes, cauliflower and paneer. Green peas has a sweetish taste, which many might not prefer, both my kiddos avoid green peas for the same reason, especially my younger one, he can navigate around peas in his food.
Curry with green peas
Green peas can be made into a finger-licking subzi by adding proper spices to it. This green peas masala is a delicious gravy, which can be served with rice and roti.
- Green peas, I have used frozem peas
- Onion and tomatoes along with garlic gives volume to the curry and also makes it saucy and flavorful. If you want to make it sathvik, omit the onion and garlic in the recipe.
- Almonds, add richness to the gravy. if avoiding onions, do add more almonds.
- Spices, the usual spices red chili, coriander powder, garam masala and turmeric powder is in the curry.
- Garnishes, fresh coriander leaves and fresh ginger.
Green Peas Masala | Side-dish for roti & rice
- 2 cups green peas i used frozen
- 2 nos medium onions chopped
- 2 nos medium tomatoes chopped
- 3 nos almonds
- 1 no green chili slited lengthwise
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1½ tsp corinader powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp shredded ginger
- fresh coriander leaves for garnish
- Chop onion and tomatoes accordingly. In a pan, add a tbsp of oil, crackle cumin seeds, add chopped onions, slited green chili, chopped garlic and shredded ginger. Saute until onion turn tanslucent.
- Add chopped tomatoes to this, add 1/4 cup water and almonds. Cook until tomatoes turn mushy. Take it off the stove, let it cool for 10 minutes.
- Using a hand blender, blend the contents until smooth. If you do not have a hand blender, use your regular blender. Since the contents might be hot, take care while blending.
- After blending, take it back to stove, add the red chili, coriander, tumeric and garam masala to the gravy and add 1/2 cup water and cook until the rawness escapes and oil separates.
- Add frozen/fresh peas to this and mix well . Cover and cook in a simmer flame, until the flavors mingle well.
- Since i used frozen peas, the water was enough, incase you are using fresh peas, add 1/4 cup of water to the gravy.
- Let the gravy simmer for 10-12 minutes after adding peas. The gravy shouldn't be thin or too thick, once it reaches the right consistency,
- Take it off the stove, garnish with fresh corinader and serve hot with Roti's.
Serve this delicious green peas masala with soft roti’s or serve it with steaming hot rice for a comforting meal.
If you have tried this recipe and like it, give it a star rating or let me know in the comments below. You could also share it with me on Instagram using #icampinmmykitchen and tagging me @priyasrinivasan.
You could follow me and my recipes on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | twitter
Do you like the recipe, PIN IT
Note :An old post, published on 28th February, 2014 updated with new content and pictures.