Kodo Ko roti, a quick ragi flour pancake, served as breakfast. A typical pancake made from finger millet locally called Kodo in sikkim, served with different varieties of pickles.
Table of contents
What is Ragi/Kodo millet?
Ragi/Kodo or finger millet comes under group of millets. Ragi flour, a powdered form of ragi grain.
Millets, a group of cereals which are mostly tiny in size, round in shape. There are about 6,000 varieties of millet throughout the world in different colors. Millets are gluten-free and rich in B vitamins, calcium, iron, potassium, magnesium, and zinc. The bran layers of millets are good sources of B-complex vitamins.
How to make Kodo Ko Roti
Kodo ko roti, simply ragi pancake, is a quick and easy recipe to make. We need just good quality ragi flour. Mix ragi flour, sugar and needed water to a pourable consistency.
Heat a tava, pour a ladle of batter on the hot tava, spread it to make a round pancake. Dot the edges with oil/ghee. Cook on both sides until done. Serve it with a choice of pickle or chutney.
More Regional Cuisines to try
Kodo Ko Roti | How to make instant ragi flour pancake
- Bowl for mixing the pancake batter
- Tava/Flat pan for making the pancake
- Whisk, spatula and turner
- ½ cup ragi flour/finger millet flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½-1 cup luke warm water
- ghee/oil for making the roti
- Mix finger millet flour-sugar with lukewarm water and make a thick batter. Take care while adding water, do not add all at once. Add ¼ cup at a time and mix to get a not so thick or thin batter.
- Heat a Tava/frying pan, Pour a ladle full of batter in the center and spread to make a round roti/pancake.
- Dot the edges with ghee, cook thoroughly on both sides over medium heat.
- Remove and serve hot with tomato pickle.
I m not a Doctor or a Nutritionist The Nutrition information provided above comes from the plugin and is only an estimate.
Serve this delicious pancake, hot straight from the pan with chutney of choice. Traditionally in Sikkim it is served with an array pickles . I served it with a simple Tamatar pickle/tomato pickle.
More Millet Recipes to try
If you have tried this recipe and like it, give it a star rating or let me know in the comments below. You could also share it with me on Instagram using #icampinmmykitchen and tagging me @priyasrinivasan.
You could follow me and my recipes on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | twitter
Do you like the recipe? PIN IT
An old post from April 2014, updated with new content for better engagement.