For the final day of week 3 theme : Millets, i m giving you yet another tasty evening snack, ragi ammini kozhukattai. I love the versatility of ragi flour, you can make almost anything out of it. So,when valli announced this theme, my favorite ragi is definitely making in to the series. I already have made Ragi dosa both Instant and fermented one, Ragi porridge, Ragi Sweet Adai and Savory adai. Now i wanted to try delicious mini kozhukattai and they turned out to be really yum!!! Only thing to be careful is not to steam them for longer or else you have give it to your little one to play cricket with!! 😉
1 Cup Ragi flour
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup Warm water
1/4 cup fresh grated coconut
1 tsp of oil
a small slice of lemon for garnishing (optional)
1/2 tsp oil
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
2 nos green chilies, chopped
2 pinches of hing
2 pinches of turmeric
a sprig of curry leaf
1/4 tsp urad dal
1/4 tsp chana dal
- Dry roast the ragi flour for 2-3 minutes. Take care not to burn the flour, keep the flame low, the flour should be hot when touched. Transfer it to a flat plate. Add salt to it and mix well.
- Add warm water to this slowly and mix well with a spoon or wooden laddle. Do not add all the water at a time. you will be needing little more than 1/2 cup of water. Add a tsp of oil and form a soft dough.
- Pinch the dough and make small balls out of it, it should be of the size of a turkey berry.
- Once the balls are rolled, take them into a steamer and steam cook for 5-8 minutes. The balls will be glossy with a slight color change. Take care not to overcook or else the balls will turn dry and rubbery.
- Once done, remove it from the steamer, Heat oil given under “Tempering” in a pan, splutter mustard seeds, add green chilies, hing ,curry leaves, turmeric and the dals.
- Once the dal changes to golden color, add the steam cooked ragi balls to this tempering, mix well, add grated coconut and cover and cook for 8-10 minutes for the flavors to mingle.
- Take it off the stove, transfer it on to a serving plate, squeeze a slice of lemon juice and serve hot along with coffee/tea.