1 Cup All Purpose flour
2 teaspoon instant yeast
1 cup warm milk (original recipe called for ½ Cup milk + 1 Egg, i have replaced egg with milk)
1.5 tablespoon sugar
1.2 teaspoon lemon zest
pinch of salt
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoon raisins
½ an apple chopped into pieces
2 tablespoon powdered sugar for serving
Oil for deep frying
- Soak raisins in warm water for 20 minutes. Wash and chop the apples into bite-size pieces.
- In a large bowl, take flour, sugar, salt, lemon zest and yeast together. Stir well to combine. Add chopped apples and raisins to this and whisk well.
- Warm milk and add butter to it. Now add this warm milk to the flour mix. The milk need to be warm not hot.
- Mix the batter using a spatula to get a homogeneous mixture. Let this batter rest for an hour or until it doubles in volume.
- Heat oil for deep frying, when the oil is ready, (i,e) when a drop of batter dropped into the hot oil, sizzles up fast, wet your hands, using your fingers, scoop a spoonful of batter and drop it into hot oil and deep fry them until golden brown. Keep the flame in medium while doing so.
- Do not crowd the pan while deep frying. I fried 4 at a time. Serve the doughnuts warm with powdered sugar sprinkled on top.