1& 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
3 tbsp milk + 1 tbsp oil for brushing the top of the buns
- In a large bowl, take together flour, gluten, and yeast together and whisk well to combine.
- In a microwave safe mug, take milk and heat it for 40 seconds, remove it and add butter and let it sit for a minute or two for the butter to melt.
- Add this butter -milk mixture to the flour mix and using a wooden spoon, mix it all together to form a dough.
- Once the flour gathers into a dough use your hand and knead the dough to form a soft dough. It is a easy dough and comes together like a dream.
- Cover the dough and let it sit for an hour or until it doubles in size. The climate here is a little cold, so I left it for 90 minutes to double up.
- When the dough is resting, let us make the filling. In a sauce pan, add butter ,when it starts to melt, add coconut, brown sugar, spices and vanilla and milk. Let this simmer in a slower flame until all the liquid dries up and comes together into a delicious mass. Let this cool well.
- Once the dough has doubled up, punch it down , deflate the air, knead it once more and divide the dough into 7 portions. I actually divided the dough into 5 (almost 90 grams each)parts and felt the buns were a bit big.
- Flatten each dough portion, stuff it with 2 tbsp of coconut stuffing, gather the edges of the dough and shape into a bun. Place the shaped bun in a greased baking pan. Repeat the same with the rest of the dough portions. Once done, using a fork, prick few holes on top of the buns.
- Let the buns sit for another 30 minutes for the second rise. Preheat the oven to 170C, brush then top of buns with milk-oil mix, bake the buns for 25 minutes, then again increase the oven temperature to 180C, brush the tops of the buns with milk-oil mix again and bake again for another 12 minutes.
- Remove the buns from the oven, let it sit for 2 minutes in the pan, then slowly remove the buns to wire rack to cool completely.