For the 3rd week of BM, i chose Rice dishes. I will be posting 3 different rice dishes. Today it is a khicdi using maata rice, which i make often. It is a simple one pot meal, put together in a pressure cooker.
Kerala maata rice, needs lil more time to cook than the normal rice. Hence, i soak them 30 minutes prior cooking to ease up the process. You will not find any difference in taste. So far i have never felt any difference, when cooked like this. It is an easy recipe, that needs no extra effort. Try it and let me know how you liked it.
1.5 cups of mixed vegetables( i used potatoes, capsicums, carrots, spinach, cauliflower)
1 tomato, chopped
1/4 cup Kerala Maata rice
1/4 cup moong dal
1/4 cup Masoor dal
1.5 tsp Homemade Sambhar powder
1/4 cup freshly grated coconut
1 tsp salt
1 tsp shredded ginger
4 cups of water
2 tbsp gingely oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
a sprig of curry leaf
2 pinches of hing
2 pinches of turmeric powder
1 green chili, slit lengthwise
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- Take Maata rice, and both the dals together in a bowl. Wash and soak them in water for 30 minutes.
- While it is soaking, prepare all the vegetables. Wash, peel and chop them into cubes. I used 1 potato, 1/2 a carrot, 2 handful of cauliflower florets, 2 handful of purslane leaves, 1/2 a capsicum.
- In a pressure cooker, heat oil given under tempering, splutter mustard seeds, crackle cumin, add crushed garlic, slit green chili, torn curry leaves, and saute until aromatic. Add chopped tomatoes and turmeric powder and saute until tomatoes release oil.
- Now add chopped vegetabales and saute for a minute. Next add drained rice and dal mixture and saute well. To this add 4 cups of water, sambhar powder, shredded coconut and salt. Mix well.
- Close the pressure cooker and do not add whistle. Let the flame be in medium. Let this cook for 20-25 minutes. Turn of the cooker. Let it sit for another 10 minutes. Remove the lid and fluff up the rice. Serve Warm with Appalam or any curry/raita of your choice.