Okies, coming to today’s recipe, this is a simple stir-fry, freshest way possible next to eating it raw. I make this stir-fry regularly at home, eventually my elder one loves this, when served, hot straight from the pan, with some hot rasam rice. I love to eat this stir-fry as such, mix little curd or just add 2-3 tablespoons of rice to this and have a warm carrot rice. This is such a versatile stir-fry that can be transformed into various other things.
The recipe uses just some red chilies and regular tempering elements of a south-indian household. Some like to add some urad dal(split blackgram) and chana dal(split chickpeas) also to the tempering, my mom used to do that, but i don’t. If you like a little crunch, go ahead and add both to the tempering.
Do Check the video on How to make Carrot Stir-fry
2 big carrots,(207 grams when peeled)
4-5 nos curry leaves
1/2 tsp salt or to taste
2 tbsp freshly grated coconut
1 tsp oil
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp hing/asafoetida
3 nos red chilies
1/2 tsp urad dal (optional, i didn’t use)
1/2 tsp chana dal (optional, i didn’t use)
- Wash and peel the carrots. I have weighed the carrots after i peeled them, they weighed 207 grams. Grate the carrots. I use the big hole grater.
- Heat oil in a heavy-bottom pan, splutter mustard seeds, add red chilies, next add curry leaves and hing. saute quickly. If adding the dals to the tempering, add it now and saute until they turn golden brown.
- Now add the grated carrots to this and mix well. Sprinkle little water and reduce the flame to medium, cover and cook for 5- 8 minutes. The carrots must be almost cooked by this time.
- Remove the cover, add salt and sprinkle little more water, mix well. Cover and cook for another 2- 3 minutes.
- Remove the cover, add the grated coconut, mix well and take it off the heat. Serve this curry as an accompaniment with rice.
Here is a list of 12 recipes from my fellow bloggers using carrots as the hero, do check them out
- Gajar Methi Subzi from My Spicy Kitchen
- Lasniya Methi Gajar – Sautéed carrots and Garlic with Fenugreek seeds from Jagruti’s Cooking Odyssey
- Punjabi Gajar Matar from Homemade Recipes
- Eggless Carrot Ranch Dressing from Mrishtanna
- Carrot Raita from Lathi’s Kitchen
- Gajar halwa mousse from Yummy tales of tummy
- Carrot cake parafait from Curry and Vanilla
- Quick Carrot Biriyani from Cooking with Sapana
- Paneer Gajar Halwa from Batter up with sujata
- Carrot halwa with condensed milk from Evergreen dishes
- Spicy Carrot dip from Flavors treat
- Carrot-Coconut Kheer from Mayuri’s Jikoni