½ cup sooji/semolina
½ a beetroot (100 grams), cut into big chunks
¾ cup of sugar
3 nos cardamom pods
1.5 cups of water
2 tablespoon ghee/vegan alternative
3 tablespoon broken cashewnuts, roasted
1 tablespoon raisin, roasted
- Peel the beetroot, wash and add 1 cup of water to it. Take it in a microwave-safe bowl and cook it at high for 8 minutes. Take it out of the microwave, drain the excess water, do not throwaway the water, we will make kesari using that water.
- Let the cooked beets cool completely. Take them in a mixer, add cardamom pods and 2 tablespoon beets cooked water and grind it to a fine paste. Keep aside until use.
- In a wide pan, dry roast the semolina/sooji for a minute or until it turns golden brown. Even if you are using roasted semolina, do not miss this step.
- Remove the roasted semolina/sooji onto a separate plate. Heat the same pan, add a tablespoon of ghee or any other vegan alternative.
- When it melts, add the beets puree to it and saute it for a minute in a simmer flame. Now add 1.5 cups of water to this. Use the beets cooked water and add extra , if you need.
- I got ¾ cup of beets cooked water, so added another ¾ cup of plain water. Let this beets and water mixture start to boil.
- When it begins to boil, add the roasted semolina to it and using a whisk combine well. You need to whisk well, or else you might get lumps. So use some muscle power and whisk well.
- As you whisk, sooji will absorb all the water and cook well. Keep the flame simmer, while it cooks.
- Next add sugar to this. When you add sugar, the mixture might liquefy, do not panic, it will be absorbed into to kesari.
- Once the sugar gets absorbed, add another 1 tablespoon of ghee to the kesari, let it be on the stove for another 2-3 minutes, stir frequently and keep the flame simmer.
- Once done, remove from heat, In anoteher small pan, add oil/ghee and roast cashew-nuts and raisins, add them to the kesari. you can press the kesari on to a square pan, slice them into squares and serve warm.