Semiya payasam, a milk kheer made with vermicelli, sweetened with sugar and garnished with ghee roasted nuts. A creamy, milky payasam, that fits the bill of any occasion.
Semiya payasam | Vermicelli payasam | Vermicelli kheer | Milk kheer with semiya | Milk payasam | How to make creamy payasam with vermicelli | Delicious payasam made with milk and sugar | Tambrahm style payasam with semiya | Payasam without condensed milk
Payasam, or paayasam is a milk based dessert, popular in Indian Subcontinent. Vermicelli payasam or Semiya payasam is made by cooking vermicelli in milk and sweetened with sugar.
This is one of the easiest and quickest payasam one can make. I would also say, most made payasam in south-indian household. One can use either roasted or unroasted vermicelli to make this creamy semiya payasam. Whether you use roasted or unroasted vermicelli, it has to be roasted in ghee before you add it to milk.
This simple semiya payasam uses sugar as sweetener. I usually add almond meal to my vermicelli payasam, as it makes the kheer rich and creamy.
This is an easy kheer to make for a crowd and kids too get excited to see noodles payasam in the menu.
More Payasam Recipes
We also have exotic payasam like this Mango millet payasam made with fresh mangoes of the season or this colorful Carrot payasam made in pressure cooker. We love this delish Nei payasam, a famous dessert from Kerala.
Make this simple and easy vermicelli payasam for Vinayagar Chathurthi Celebrations. Check for more Vinayagar Chathurthi Recipes here.
Ingredients To Make Vermicelli Kheer
- Main Ingredients : Vermicelli, Milk and sugar. I have used to Bambino brand thin vermicelli for the payasam, along with full fat milk and white sugar.
- Add-ons : Almond meal, adds richness and creaminess to the kheer.
- Flavorings : I have included few pods of cardamom and cloves along with a generous pinch of saffron in this delish semiya payasam
- Garnish : Few almonds and raisins, roasted in ghee is added to the payesh.
Stepwise Instructions to make Kheer with Vermicelli
Please check recipe card below for exact measurements of each ingredient used and also for the detailed instructions
- Heat milk in a heavy bottom pan, in another small pan, add a teaspoon of ghee and roast the vermicelli in a medium flame to golden brown.
- Add the ghee roasted golden vermicelli to the hot milk. Keep the flame simmer and let the vermicelli cook soft in milk.
- It will 8-10 minutes for the vermicelli to cook. Add sugar, cardamon and clove powder to this and mix well.
- Now add almond powder and a pinch of saffron to this and mix well. Let the kheer boil and thicken for next 10 minutes.
- In a small pan, add a teaspoon of ghee and roast almonds and raisins and add it to the kheer and remove it from the flame. Serve the kheer warm.
- Vermicelli kheer thickens as it rests, if you find the kheer too thick, add ¼ cup of warm milk to the kheer, mix well and serve.
Semiya Payasam | Vermicelli Kheer | Without Condensed Milk
- 1 Litre full fat milk
- ½ cup vermicelli | semiya
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 tablespoon almond meal
- 6 pods cardamom only seeds
- 3 cloves
- 1 a generous pinch of saffron
- 3 teaspoon ghee
- 10 almonds crushed roughly
- 10 raisins a mix of golden and black raisins
- Heat milk in a heavy bottom pan. Keep the flames simmer and boil the milk.
- While the milk is boiling, heat a small pan with a teaspoon of ghee and roast the vermicelli. Keep the flame simmer and roast the vermicelli. Do not leave it unattended or else there is a chance of burning.
- Add this roasted vermicelli to the boiling milk. Take care and add slowly. Add a teaspoon of ghee and mix well.
- Adding ghee to the milk ensures the vermicelli doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan. Let the milk continue to boil in medium flame and the vermicelli cook soft.
- The vermicelli will cook soft in 8-10 minutes. Now add sugar and almond meal to this and mix well.
- Adding almond meal, makes the kheer creamier and thicker. Let this boil in medium flame for another 10 minutes
- Pound the cardamom seeds and cloves in a mortar pestle and add it to the kheer. Add saffron along with this. Mix well.
- Heat the same pan in which you roasted vermicelli with a teaspoon of ghee. Add almonds and raisins to it and roast to golden brown. Add this to the kheer and serve the kheer warm.
- Vermicelli kheer thickens as it rests, so if you find the kheer very thick, add ¼ cup of warm milk to it , mix well and serve.
Storing & Serving
- Leftover kheer can be refrigerated for 2 days in an air-tight container. While serving, remove the required kheer in a microwave safe bowl, warm it for 30 seconds - 1 minute and serve warm.
- If you are adding extra milk to alter the consistency of the kheer, make sure you taste check and if needed add a teaspoon of 2 of sugar along with milk, mix well and serve.
I m not a Doctor or a Nutritionist The Nutrition information provided above comes from the plugin and is only an estimate.