Today, i bring you paneer/chenna/chennar kheer. Soft, spongy paneer in sweetened milk topped with nuts. It is definitely a royal treat, tastes great when tasted straight from the stove, also better when served chilled.
- I had homemade paneer, ready in my freezer, so i used it. In case if you want to make fresh paneer, then boil 500 ml milk, squeeze a lime into it and keep stirring until the whey separates. Use a strainer, with cheese cloth, drain the whey and let the paneer sit for 30 minutes to be used for the Kheer.
- Now in another heavy bottom take 5 cups of milk, cook in a medium flame for it to boil. When it starts boiling, reduce the flame to simmer and add saffron strands to this.
- Let the milk reduce to 4 cups, while it is reducing, remember to keep the flame simmer and stir often to mix the malai/cream that forms on top and the sides. In the mean time, crumble the paneer and keep ready.
- When the milk reduces to 4 cups, add condensed milk and mix well. Let it continue to cook for another 10-15 minutes. Now add the crumbled paneer to this and mix well. Let this cook until paneer swells a bit absorbing the sweet milk/ras, about 15-20 minutes in simmer flame. At this time keep the pistachios ready and add it to the kheer.
- Let this be on the stove for another 10 minutes. Remove from fire and serve warm or chilled with some more pistachios on top.