Amaranth Greens & beans soup, hearty soup with amaranth leaves and mixed beans. A chunky soup that makes a filling meal as such.
Callaloo doesn’t the name sound interesting? When i found that it is nothing but our very own amarnath leaves, i decided i m trying this recipe with this callaloo!
Since i m trying to eat a little more protein, i was looking for a recipe that will fit in my meal plan . I loved this hearty jamaican soup with amaranth greens and beans. It was chunky,hearty and also rendered some warmth to my sore throat.
The original recipe, uses scotch bonnet peppers, lots of thyme and parsley. I have replaced the scotch bonnet with regular indian green chili and instead of thyme & parsley, i settled with coriander leaves. I have used coconut oil for sauteing the veggies here, and strongly recommend using it, as it gives an amazing flavor to the soup.
How to serve Greens & Beans Soup
- This greens & beans soup can be served as part of a meal or as a meal itself. I would suggest a thin bread like Falnuche nu nord along with it to soak in the liquid.
- If serving this soup to children, then i would suggest blending it smooth and serve it with a dollop of cream. Sort of a bribe, to make them eat something healthy.
Amaranth leaves & Beans soup | Greens & Beans soup
- 1 cup chopped amaranth leaves/Callaloo leaves
- 2 & ½ cups vegetable stock
- ⅓ cup mixed beans, cooked soft i have used chickpeas, black-eyed peas and white beans
- ½ no sweet potato peeled and chopped into cubes
- 1 no small potato peeled and chopped into cubes
- ½ no carrot peeled and chopped into cubes
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 1 no medium sized onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely minced
- 3 tablespoon finely chopped fresh corinader leaves thyme & parsley can be used
- 1 no green chili instead of scotch bonnet peppers
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon freshly pounded black pepper
- salt to taste
- Wash and prep all the vegetables as said above. In a large pan, heat coconut oil. When it is hot, add the chopped onions, garlic and green chilies and saute until onions turn translucent.
- Next add the chopped potato, sweet poato, celery and carrots into it and saute for 2 minutes. Next add chopped amarnath leaves and mixed beans to it and saute well.
- To this now add vegetable broth, chopped coriander and salt. Cover and cook for about 12-15 minutes until the veggies are done.
- Check the consistency of the soup, i love mine to be little watery and chunks of veggies, if you prefer yours to be smooth, take a portion of the soup, blend it well with a stick blender and return it to the pot mix well.
- Add freshly pounded pepper, mix well, remove it from the stove and serve warm.
Enjoy this chunky greens & beans soup with a simple toast or check the suggestion i have provided below.
Some Sides for the Soup
If you have tried this recipe and like it, give it a star rating or let me know in the comments below. You could also share it with me on Instagram using #icampinmmykitchen and tagging me @priyasrinivasan.
You could follow me and my recipes on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | twitter
Do you like the recipe, PIN IT
An old post from October 2017, updated with new content for better engagement.