I served it along a cheese bread for my Lil ones mid-morning snack. He loved both the toast and the soup. Loved the mild flavor of thyme in the soup, definitely in my repeat list. Try serving with a dollop of cream if you are not calorie conscious, would definitely take the soup to another level.
- Preheat oven to 180 C.
- Spread the cut tomatoes, onion, garlic, and thyme on a baking tray. Sprinkle with sugar, and season to taste with salt & pepper.
- Coat with olive oil, and roast in the preheated oven for about 40 minutes, or until the tomatoes are about half their size, wrinkly, and some of the juices are caramelized on the bottom of the pan.
- Let it cool for 10 minutes, take the contents in a blender or use a hand blender and blend until smooth. If you feel the soup is thick/thin enough for you, then serve it as such after this. But i felt it was thick, so thinned it down a bit.
- Take the blended soup in a pan, add water and milk Heat the mixture on medium heat, simmer until bubbly and warm for about 10 minutes. Take it off the stove serve hot or warm with cheese toasted bread.
Cheese toasted bread.
- In a cast iron tave, toast the bread until brown on both sides, add cheese on one side and toast till cheese melts. Serve with warm soup.