Cauliflower rice, shredded cauliflower stir-fried into a indo-chinese style fried rice. A delicious keto/paleo recipe for those who avoid carbs.
Cauliflower rice, my new found love. No, i m not on a paleo/Keto diet. I have been eating low carbs for a long time now. I try to eat a variety of complex carbs like millets, quinoa, matta rice, parboiled rice etc.
Why a no-carb meal?
As a south-indian, eating idly/dosa for breakfast, rice for lunch, it ain’t easy to avoid carbs. I cannot totally cut-out carbs from my meal. But, i m trying to replace atleast one meal, so it will reduce my overall carb intake for the day.
I have tried cauliflower rice, sometimes back, when it was a craze, it is still a craze. But somehow, i didn’t like it and had to use up that batch into other gravies, so that awfully raw smell vanishes.
This time, i read thru some blogs that are into keto/paleo recipes and finally checked, +Gayathri Kumar blog for her cauliflower pongal and tried it again. Voila, nailed the recipe this time.
Loved the fluffy cauliflower that steamed so beautifully in the microwave. First day i made pongal with it and next day i made this yumm chinese style fried rice with the cauliflower rice. It was absoultely delicious and no i m not exaggerating the taste of it. It was really good, and i m not person who would eat nonsense just for the sake of diet! As one of my yoga buddy says, “Eating is Believing” you should eat this to believe it!
Caulilower rice – Chinese style fried rice with cauliflower rice
- 300 grams cauliflower florets
- 1 no onion chopped fine
- ½ capsicum sliced thin
- ½ carrot sliced thin
- ¼ cup spring onions finely chopped
- 2 nos green chilies slit lengthwise
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- a small piece of ginger finely chopped
- ¾ tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tbsp oil any vegetable oil
- fresh spring onion greens for garnish
Sauces & Spices
- 2 tsp soy sauce1 tbsp tomato sauce , i used Tomato chili sauce1 tsp freshly pounded pepper powdersalt to tastefresh greens of spring onions for1 tbsp oil, i used gingely oil
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato sauce i used tomato chili sauce
- 1 tsp freshly pounded blackp pepper powder
- Clean and cut the cauliflower florets. Using a grater, grate them fine. you can also use your food processor.
- Take the grated cauliflower in a microwave safe bowl, sprinkle water 2 or 3 times and microwave cook at power 80 for 8 minutes.
- This steam cooks the cauliflower soft. This step can be done on a stove-top/ in a steamer also.
- Heat a wide pan, add oil. When it is hot, add chopped onions,garlic, ginger, green chili and saute until the onions turn pink. Add chopped spring onions to this and saute for a minute.
- Now add the chopped capsicum and carrots to this and saute until they turn little crisp. To this add soy sauce and tomato chili sauce and saute in high for a minute.
- Now add the steamed cauliflower to this and mix well. Season with salt and pepper powder. Garnish with spring onions greens and take it off the stove.
- Serve it warm with side of your choice.I enjoyed it as such.
I m quite regular at instagram and keep posting my daily banter in insta stories. This cauliflower chinese fried rice too made into my insta stories, the day i made it. One of my yoga buddy tried it the same day and sent me some pictures, i was so happy to see that somebody tried and they too liked it.