Chilli paneer or Paneer chilli, an Indian fusion recipe with Chinese flavors. Indian cottage cheese cooked with Chinese sauces and spices. A famous side that can be enjoyed as a starter or as a side with flatbreads.
Indo-Chinese | Indian Chinese Recipe | Chinese flavors | Paneer Recipe | Paneer Starters | Paneer semi-gravy | Paneer side-dish | Roti and Paneer | How to make Paneer Chilli | Paneer Chilli Recipe | Paneer Chili Dry Recipe | Paneer Chili Dry | Easy Chili Paneer Recipe | Chili Paneer Recipe Indian
As a vegetarian, paneer, Indian cottage cheese, is an excellent protein source. We love to include paneer in our regular meal. This Poha paneer is a popular breakfast at home. A simple and hearty breakfast, gets done in minutes.
Both the kids don't mind any vegetable with paneer. Like this Paneer and corn subzi, my elder one despises corn, but he is fine when there is paneer along.
I usually pack roti rolls for their school dabba, this Chana paneer stuffed rolls is a super hit dish amongst their friends too.
These Pudina paneer bread rolls is such a hearty and healthy dinner idea. These bread rolls can be a huge hit for get togethers and can be made for a crowd. Why not try for you New year party?
More Paneer Inspirations
Indo-Chinese Cuisine | Indian Chinese Cuisine
Indian Chinese cuisine or Desi-Chinese cuisine is a distinct style of Chinese cuisine adapted to Indian tastes, combining Chinese foods with Indian flavors and spices.
Indian vegetables and spices are used, along with a heavy amount of pungent Chinese sauces, thickening agents, and oil.
We have a variety of Adapted Chinese recipes in our cuisine, even the Chinese would be astonished. I have to admit, this is the first time i m making a Indian Chinese fusion at home.
We have so many options when we eat outside, so i was never tempted to make it at home. But during covid times, when the world shut down and we were all experimenting at home learning new things, I tried to move out of my comfort zone and learnt to cook new cuisines. The few Indo-Chinese recipes that are in the blog are result of that experimentation.
Today's Chili Paneer Recipe
I cannot quote just one source for this recipe today. I read and saw numerous videos to get the consistency, color and taste right. Voila, it is a hit! Kids and hubby were so delighted to taste Paneer chili and Gobi Manchurian dry for Lunch today.
My lil one brightly exclaimed "Hey, this taste exactly like kamat Gobi" there i earned my MasterChef title!!!!
Coming to today's recipe, the only work here is to fry the paneer, if that is done, rest is a breeze. I have used a combination of flours for the batter as i dont use all purpose flour at home. If you are ok to use all purpose flour, kindly go ahead and replace the flour mix.
Ingredients for Finger Licking Chilli Paneer
- Paneer : The main ingredient. I have used store bought paneer for this Indo chinese dish.
- The flour mix : To deep fry paneer, i have used a flour mix of rice flour, besan and wheat flour. If you are fine with using All purpose flour, pls use it.
- The Marinate : Paneer is marinated in the flour mix along with some turmeric powder chili powder and salt.
- For the Sauce : Soy souce and tomato sauce. A roux made of corn flour and water to thicken.
- Spices : Onion, green chili, ginger and garlic along with freshly pounded black peppercorns.
- Vegetables : I have used a green capsicum and spring onions in this side dish. You can add more colorful peppers to this or just use onion and paneer also.
- Garnish : Spring onion greens for garnish.
Chilli Paneer | Paneer Chili | Indo-Chinese Recipe
For the Paneer
- 200 grams paneer
- ¼ whole wheat flour
- ¼ gram flour/besan
- 2 tablespoon rice flour
- 2 tablespoon corn flour
- a pinch of turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder optional
- salt to taste
- Oil for frying
For the sauce
- 2 onions
- 1 green chili slited lengthwise
- 2 fat cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 1 inch piece of ginger finely chopped
- ¼ cup of spring onions chopped
- 1 green capsicum cubed
- 1 tablespoon corn flour
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns freshly pounded
- 1.5 cups of water
- 1 teaspoon salt to taste or to taste
- 1½ tablespoon soy sauce
- 3 tablespoon tomato sauce i used tomato-chili sauce
- few greens of spring onions for garnish
Prepare the paneer first
- Mix together wheat flour, besan, rice and corn flour in a large bowl, whisk to combine.
- To this add turmeric powder, red chili powder an salt, mix well to combine. Now to this add ¼-cup to ½ cup water and make a batter. The batter should neither too thick nor too thin. It should coat the paneer well
- Heat oil in a sauce pan for deep frying the paneer, Dip the paneer slices into the batter and drop into hot oil and fry until golden brown.
- While frying do not add more paneer cubes into the oil, they might clump together and not fry well.
- Believe me, been there, done that, so i m giving you heads up! Drop only 4-5 cubes at a time, and do not crowd them together.
- This frying part is a bit of a job, once this is done, rest is all breezy. So take care while fring the paneer slices.
- Once the paneer turns golden brown, remove them with a slotted spoon, onto a kitchen towel. Repeat the same with rest of the paneer, keep aside until use.
Let us make the gravy
- Heat a pan, add oil, once it is hot, add chopped onion, garlic, chili and ginger to it and saute until translucent. Take care not to burn them, it will spoil the taste bad.
- Now to this add spring onions and saute for a minute in high. Now to this add chopped capsicums and pepper to this and saute for a minute in high.
- To the veggies now add soy sauce and tomato sauce and stir. In a small bowl, mix corn flour and water together and add this to the pan, stir well. The sauce will start thickening almost immediately. Keep stirring for a minute
- Now add the fried paneer, mix well. Take it off the stove. Garnish with spring onions greens and serve it warm with fried rice or Roti.
I m not a Doctor or a Nutritionist The Nutrition information provided above comes from the plugin and is only an estimate.