When i decided to make Luchi's for breakfast, i had 2 options for the side, either aloor dum or cholar dal. Cholar dal won hands down, since my elder prefers a juicy side for his roti/puri. He definitely insisted that he wants dal to soak his luchi into it. Since anna waned dal, my lil one also wanted the same.
Though i m used o make chana dal, but his way using whole spices was the first time and we loved he mild taste of cardamom and cinnamon in he dal.It was perfect with luchi's.
Source : My Bangladeshi Kitchen
¾ cup chana dal
1 large onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
½ teaspoon shredded ginger
½ teaspoon red chili powder
¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
¼ teaspoon garam masala powder
salt to taste
1 tablespoon oil
½ teaspoon cumin seeds
2 small sticks of cinnamom
2 nos green cardamom
2 nos cloves
2 nos red chilies
- Soak the dal overnight or atleast a minimum of 3-4 hours so it is easy to cook. Since, i made this for breakfast, i soaked it overnight.
- Next day morning, drain the excess water and keep the dal ready. Heat a pan, with oil given under "tempering", add the whole spices green cardamom, cinnamon, cumin, cloves, bay leaf and chilies. Saute for a minute,
- Add chopped onion. minced garlic and ginger, saute until translucent. Next add the drained dal and about 2.5 cups of water. Add red chili powder, garam masala powder and salt.
- Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until the dal gets soft. Open the cover and check the consistency of the gravy. It should be neither too thick or too thin. Perfect gravy to dip your luchi's. I left it for another 5 mintues on the stove.
- Use potato masher to mash the dal a little, to thicken the gravy a bit. Turn of the heat. Serve it hot with Fluffy luchi's, dip and enjoy.
Your son has surely had excellent taste..this dal looks amazing!
the dal is so comforting!!! yummm..
The combo of daal and luchi sounds interesting , must try rhis , have always served it with rice or roti. Good choice .
Motions and Emotions
perfect companion for luchi...
Never had dhal with pooris. This is quite interesting.
Dal looks delicious and must have tasted amazing with whole spice tempering. Even I am not use to tempering dal with whole spices.
wow thats a comforting dalchana priya 🙂 one amazing combo of dal with poori's , looks so delicious !!
Great recipe.. dhal with poori is interesting
Love to have dal with pooris..But never tried with Channa dal.. Will try it soon..
Amazingly delicious. Looks yum. Can I have some?
Simple and comforting bowl of dal. So yummy!!
I had made cholar dal during Indian odyseey for Bengal but in the Bengali version coconut is used making it super rich. your lighter version is definitely healthier!
My Culinary Journey
Chana dal served with poori is a such a quintessential Bengali delicacy. This is such a comforting and simple dish to satiate your taste buds.
The dal looks amazing and I agree, its the perfect side dish to pair with luchis.