In the list of orange muffins, today it a whole wheat orange-y muffins. The only liquid here is Orange juice. It also counts to Vegan muffin, if you omit the cream cheese frosting. I have tried this muffins with ½ cup orange juice, topped with ½ cup water, they have come out good then too. But with 1 cup of OJ, it is like eating orange!! 🙂
The frosting is something i whipped to make it a bit more attractive for my kiddos. Needless to say, it worked, while clicking these muffins, my Lil one came near and asked "Whatch you r making amma???, i m sooo hunggrryy, amma? I want caikee!! He mopped one muffin clean, licking his fingers with the frosting!
Source : Veg Recipes of India
Ingredients (makes 7 medium muffins)
1 cup whole wheat flour (i used our normal atta)
1 tablespoon corn starch
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ cup raw sugar (you use normal sugar)
1 cup orange juice (freshly squeezed)
¼ cup oil
zest of one orange
a pinch of salt
For Frosting (can frost 8 muffins)
for the chocolate cream cheese frosting
¼ cup cream cheese
2 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoon cocoa powder
½ cup powdered sugar
a pinch of salt
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180C for 10 minutes. Keep a muffin pan ready with liners. I used my 6 cup muffin pan and one silicon mould.
- Take flour, corn starch, baking soda, baking powder, sugar and salt together in a wide bowl. Whisk well to combine.
- In a measuring jug, take the liquids orange juice, oil and zest together. Whisk well combine.
- Add the liquid to the dry ingredients. Mix to combine using a spatula. Mix in one direction, light movement.
- Spoon the orange batter into the muffin pan, fill up to ⅔rds. Bake in the preheated oven for 22-25 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Take it out of the oven, move to a wire rack for it to cool completely before frosting
To Make the frosting
- In a wide bowl take butter and cream cheese together, using a electric beater/whisk, whish well untils soft and fluffy.
- Add sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla extract and salt and whisk again until fluffy. Refrigerate until use.
- To frost, fill the frosting in a piping bag and decorate the muffins and serve immediately or refrigerate until serve.
- The weather is very hot here, my frosting started oozing out even after refrigerating. I have managed to pipe something acceptable by my kiddo's as frosting and immediately tucked it into the fridge.
This is such an interesting series. Lots of flavor variation with orange and all of them delicious.
Priya while the oranges are still in the season I should give this a try, like the idea of complete orange juice.
orange and chocolate both goes very well.yummy muffins
Lot of oranges and chocolates.. great combo. Superb cupcakes
orange and chocolate are a great combo!!! the cupcakes are looking so beautiful!!
Love love love them... they look superb dear...
enjoying all your orange muffins Priya...what a theme!..this one too look so delish!
Love the texture of those muffins and the frosting must have made it more yummier.
Wow, am in love with ur muffins everytime i come here, well done Priya, u just rock with ur muffins.
I am bookmarking all the cakes in this orange series 🙂 These look very yum.
Chocolate frosting makes everything taste so much better. Using fresh orange juice is such a yummy idea. Will have to try these muffins some time.
I am drooling over the chocolate frosting,looks yummilicious...
Oh my heavens!! These are SO DELICIOUS!! J
Those muffins with the chocolate frosting looks delish!