Carrot cake and cream cheese frosting are match made in heaven. This cake is infused with fresh ginger juice too, which takes it a notch above all. We as a family are big fans of cooking shows. We watch Masterchef Australia, Nigella's Table, Jimmy and Jammy's food fight, the list is endless. During one such food episode of Nigella, we saw her make this ginger and carrot cake, my lil one wanted me to make this immediately. He will be on my back until i make it for him. So i made this the same weekend, with him standing next to me and checking whether i m following all the steps, Nigella showed in her cooking. The cake was amazing, bursting with lovely flavors of ginger.
The cake is fit for any celebration, I m sending this to Kids delight - Anniversary celebrations happening @ Srivalli's Spice your life.
Inspired from Nigella's Recipe
1.5 cups whole wheat flour
¾ cup - 1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ cup oil
2 carrots, peeled and grated
1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger or 2-3 tablespoon candied ginger
½ cup of chopped walnuts
¾ cup buttermilk
For the icing
200 grams cream cheese
1 cup icing sugar
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed ginger juice
½ cup chopped walnuts
1 tablespoon butter
¼ cup brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease baking pans with oil and lay it with parchment paper. I have used 2
- Sift together flour. baking soda and baking powder.
- Add grated carrots and fresh ginger/candied ginger to this and mix well. Finally tip in the chopped walnuts to the dry flour mix and give it a good stir.
- Let us get to the wet ingredients, Take butermilk in a wide bowl, add sugar to it and mix well. Next add oil to it and whisk well to combine.
- Now add the flour mix to the wet ingredients in batches and whisk. I use a spatuala while mixing, mix in one direction, be gentle while mixing. please ensure all the flour is mixed well.
- Divide the batter among the 2 prepared cake pans and bake them @ 180C for 40-45 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let the cake sit in the pan for 5 minutes, then slowly loosen the edges using a blunt knife and unmould the cake on a wire rack. Let it cool completely if you are planning to ice it.
- If serving as such, serve a warm slice with your evening cup.
- Mix chopped walnuts, with butter and brown sugar. Spread it on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes @ 180C. Remove and let it rest on the counter until it is cool to touch, if it too clumpy, just break it down.
- Take cream cheese in a bowl, add icing sugar and ginger juice to it and whip until it soft peak forms.
Assemble the cake
- Remove the cakes from the refrigerator. Scrap the top of the cakes.
- Put a blob of frosting on a cake board or a plate. This helps to hold the cake in its place while you frost.
- Place a cake layer on top. Brush the top with simple sugar syrup. Fill the top of the cake with whipped cream frosting. Place the second layer bottom side up. Brush the top again with simple sugar syrup.
- Crumb coat the cake with frosting. This seals the crumbs well and gives a neat finish to the final decoration. Refrigerate the cake for atleast 10 minutes before decorating it further.
- I added another layer of frosting and and topped with walnut crumbs. Let the cake rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
How pretty this cake looks, am yet to try this ginger carrot combination in cake, as none at home like the gingery flavor in cakes. Wish i could get that slice of cake for my breakfast rite now.
Ginger is such a nice flavor usually under rated. I came to know this after making a ginger-peach Ice cream. Carrot and Ginger looks great. Ginger Cream Cheese Frosting! I am imaging how delicious it would taste.
Carrot cake and create cheese are such a delicious combination. Infusing ginger surely ups the flavour. I love such cakes than the elaborate decorated ones.
Wow, that ginger carrot cake looks soooo good Priya. I don't think I've ever tried this combination in a cake before.
I can see my daughter pestering me just like your son to make a dish. She brings her stool to the kitchen to supervise and 'help'. Love this age where they are still interested in what mom is doing 🙂
Wow! the cake must be bursting with the flavor of ginger. Looks very cute and inviting as well.
Wow! The cake overflows with flavours of ginger! Love it Priya sounds yummy. I can imagine your kiddo standing and helping.Enjoy it dear.
Wow cake looks amazing. Ginger flavor sounds interesting.
That cake looks so sinful Priya, wish I can get to taste it sometime..thank you so much for sending it for the party!
Never ever had ginger spiced cake. It sounds unique. Would love to try it as curious to know how it tastes 🙂
That is a stunning cake Priya! Love the addition of ginger juice in the frosting. We watch Masterchef Aus too and I have a bunch of recipes bookmarked from it...will try this one too asap!
Interesting. That ginger addition to the classic carrot - cream cheese combo must have added loads of flavor of the cake.
yum, looks so tempting. Loved this layered eggless wholewheat ginger carrot cake. Icing and topping making it so inviting. I don't mind having this slice and gobble it. Great post Priya.
Love the flavor of ginger with carrots. Looks delicious and perfect for any celebration.
Wow.. this cake looks so tasty and sinful.. perfect cake recipe.