For the alphabet U, i didn’t think twice, i decided on my second home UAE – United National Emirates. It is a Federation of 7 Emirates Abudhabi, Ajman, Dubai, Sharjah, Ras-al-khaimah, Fujairah & Umm-al-quwain. When i say it is my second home, i really mean it. I have never felt far away from my home country here. Only missing elements would be Mom, Dad and temples, sigh!!!
Today we are tasting one of the traditional Emirati breads Khameer/Khamir. A breakfast bread served with fresh cheese. Khamir is nothing but arabic word for yeast. The bread is a mixture of yeast, flour, milk powder and is sprinkled with sesame seeds and cooked to a toasty brown color.
I served them with fresh made curd cheese, with some pistachios and fresh banana. It tasted yum and the flavor of saffron in the bread makes it so rich and a royal treat.
Source : Green Prophet
1 cup All purpose flour
1 cup Whole wheat flour
½ tablespoon instant yeast
¼ cup milk powder
¼ cup sugar
½ teaspoon saffron
½ teaspoon cardamom powder
¾ cup warm water
2 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- Take both the flours, yeast, milk powder, saffron, cardamon powder and sugar in a large bowl whisk well to combine.
- Now slowly add water and knead to make a soft dough. When the flour holds together as a dough, take it to a flat kneading surface and knead for 5 minutes to get a smooth dough.
- Let the dough rest for 30 minutes. Divide the dough into 6-7 portions. Roll each portion into a disc of 4-5 inches. Use flour if needed, I didn’t use any.
- Heat a flat tava, I used my cast iron pan, when it is hot enough, place the rolled bread on the hot tava.
- It will start puffin up, flip after a minute and cook the other side, spread a teaspoon of oil on top, sprinkle toasted sesame seeds and flip and cook for 2 seconds. Remove it on serving plate and serve it warm.
- Khamir bread is served with variety of toppings along. I served it with a spread of home-made labneh or hung curd, some chopped bananas and pistachios.
Sending this to Come,join us for breakfast, happening @ +srivalli jetti ‘s space.
I have always wanted to make this bread. You have done a great job! Bread looks great!
Bookmarked. Looks like a treat.
Bread looks great with cheese and bananas. Nice shot of the bowl of hung cheese, white on white is amazing.
Wow, this Emirati khameer bread is truly new for me, love that last click,too delicious.
What a delicious way to eat bread Priya..so lovely..if I remember right we have a similar one popular in UP as well..:)
Amazing bread would love to try this one..like that last click with labneh bananas and pistachios. Super Priya.
really awesome… I have had this a couple of times at the heritage days… would love to recreate this at home…
Love the last click where it is ready to eat 🙂
The Pumpkin Farm
yumm yumm …this looks so good beautiful presentation
Such a flavorful and delicious khameer bread. Last click stole my heart — with all those yummy topping, it must have tasted heavenly. Will have to try soon. Bookmarked!!
Bread sounds really flavorful!I saw this as soon as u posted the recipe and really loved that final pic:)
this bread looks so good with all the spices included. some of my cousins have visited Dubai and said it was so nice. must be a beautiful place with such delicious foods!!!
wow yeasted flat bread looks super soft and love thee topped way you have topped them bananas, hung curd 🙂 just so tempting !!
Very flavorful bread & those toppings are so yum.
Priya …………. like I said I ma long gone. Love it.
Khameer bread looks perfect. My MIL love this bread …