Dosa Batter – as needed
¼ cup Karam Podi/Idly podi/Gun powder
¼ cup of butter (optional)
Ghee/gingely oil for making the dosa
For the Upma
¼ cup of roasted sooji/rava
1.5 cups of water
½ teaspoon oil
1 green chili, chopped
2-3 curry leaves
a pinch of hing
¼ teaspoon mustard seeds
- In a pan, heat oil, splutter mustard seeds, add hing, curry leaves, chili and turmeric powder. Reduce the flame and add water and salt. When the water comes to a roiling boil, add the sooji, let the sooji cook.
- The upma should be of liquid consistency, spreadable on the dosa, that is why more water. Once the rava is cooked, take it off the heat, let it sit until use.
For the Potato Masala
- Wash, peel and cut the potatoes into cubes. Cook them with water, until soft. I cooked on stove top, you can also microwave it for 10 minutes.Drain the excess water completely. Mash it well with a a potato masher or back of a ladle.
- Heat oil given under tempering in a pan, splutter mustard seeds, add hing , curry leaves. Sauté for a minute, add onions and saute until translucent. Next add the mashed potato, turmeric powder and salt. Let it cook in a simmer flame for the flavors to mingle.
- After 5 minutes, stir and take it off the stove, garnish with free coriander leaves. Keep aside until use.
- Take the above ingredients in a mixer, except oil. Grind well to a smooth paste.
- Heat oil in a small pan, add this ground paste and sauté until the water evaporates and the paste becomes little thick.
- Heat a tava, when it is hot enough(sprinkle little water, it should sizzle), pour a ladle full of batter, in the center of the tava, spread to make a circle using the back of the ladle. Dot the edges with ghee/oil. Let it cook for a minute or until the sides turn crispy brown.
- Flip and cook the other side for a minute. Flip again, now put 2 tablespoon of upma and 1 teaspoon of erra karam in the middle. Spread it on the dosa with the turner. Sprinkle a 1 tablespoon of karam podi on top. Place 2-3 tablespoon of masala on one side of the dosa. Add a blob of butter. Fold the dosa. Drizzle little oil/ghee on top. Let it sit for 30 seconds to a crispier dosa. Cut into and serve hot.
- I have avoided adding raw onion in the dosa, since my kids don’t prefer it. If you like onions, pls add them after karam podi.