For the Second Day of Thali Menu, i m posting Lentil Vadai with Badam and a Staple Chutney with all South-Indian Breakfast The Evergreen Coconut Chutney. Lentil Vadai, will be one of most non-preferable (read "hated") vadai amongst many. Ask anybody they will say they love soft medhu vadai/urad dal vadai. But try adding 4-5 badam/almonds to this recipe, next time they won't say No.
Breakfast Thali 2 Menu :
Venpongal, Brinjal Kothusu, Coconut Chutney, Lentil Vadai with Badam, Sooji/Rawa Kesari
Ingredients for Lentil Vadai
2 tablespoon Chana Dal
2 tablespoon Urad Dal
2 tablespoon Masoor Dal
2 tablespoon Moong Dal
5 nos Badam
3-4 Red chilies (long variety)
2 Sprigs of Curry Leaves
a pinch of hing
Salt to taste
Oil for Frying
Extra Ingredients (Optional)
1 Medium size Onion, finely chopped
1 small Carrot, Finely shredded
- Soak all the Dals and Badam together for 20 minutes. Drain and add rest of the ingredients, except salt and Grind it to a slightly Coarse Batter. Dont add water. If the mixer gets stuck, add a teaspoon of water.
- Transfer the batter to a bowl, add salt and mix well.
- If you prefer add chopped onion and shredded carrots to the batter and mix well. i would definitely recommend Onion, if you are not making it for Neivedhiyam/Offering to God.
- Heat a Kadai/Pan with Oil, Pinch small balls from the batter and Deep fry until crisp, in batches.
- Serve Hot with your Favorite Condiment.
Ingredients for Coconut Chutney
1/ 4 Cup Chutney Dal/Roasted gram Dal
¼ Cup Freshly grated coconut
3 green chilies
1 clove garlic (optional)
1 small onion (optional)
a small marble-sized tamarind
Salt to taste
½ teaspoon Oil
¼ teaspoon Mustard seeds
¼ teaspoon urad dal
hing a pinch
a sprig of curry leaves
- Take all the ingredients given for Chutney and Grind them to paste using ¼ Cup Water.
- Heat oil given for tempering, splutter mustard seeds, add hing, curry leaves, urad dal. When the urad dal turns brown, pour the tempering over the Chutney and Serve it with your Favorite Idly/Dosa/Pongal.