Today we are going to taste of Arabic sweet bread as we visit Oman today. It is a country that is closer to where i reside. I live in Sharjah/UAE and it is a favorite holiday spot for many here and it just 6 hrs drive from here. Most of the Gulf countries share sort same cuisine with little difference here and there.
In their culture,Bread is a gift from God. Traditionally it is broken by hand. T ocut it with a knife would be lift up a sword against god's blessing. If a bit of bread falls on the ground, it is picked up and held to the lips and forehead as a gesture of atonement and respect before it is put aside. And it is never thrown away. Instad, stale bread is used in a variety of traditional ways, such as Fattoush.
Today we are tasting yet another delicious bread from this cuisine, Khubz Mohala/Sweet Arabic bread.
1.5 cups all purpose flour
1.5 cups Whole Wheat flour
½ tablespoon instant yeast
¼ teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoon sugar
3 tablespoon date molasses or normal molasses
A pinch of saffron soaked in 1 tablespoon of rose water.
½ Cup of warm water or milk (as required)
For brushing the buns
1 tablespoons boiling water.
1 teaspoons sugar.
¼ teaspoon baking soda.
Toasted sesame seeds.
- Take together both the flour, yeast, sugar, baking soda in a food processor bowl. Pulse it twice to mix well.
- Mix together molasses, saffron soaked rosewater together. Add this to the flour mix and start kneading a dough. Add water or milk as needed and make a smooth and soft dough.
- Transfer the dough on to a well floured kneading surface, knead for 5 minutes to make a soft dough.
- Let the dough rest in a well oiled bowl for about 90 minutes or until doubled. Once doubled, transfer the dough to kneading surface, punch it down and divide the dough into 6 pieces.
- Make flat roundels of each piece, make indents with your finger and spread the solution of sugar-baking soda. Sprinkle sesame seeds.
- Let this rest again for another 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 180C. Bake the bread for about 20 minutes or until the top is well browned.
- Take it out of the oven, let it cool well on a wire rack. Enjoy with your cup of tea.