Mixed millets kanji/porridge, a healthy and hearty breakfast porridge to start your day well.
Porridge is an essential part of our food chain right from our birth. Apart from mother's milk, a new born is fed with parboiled rice porridge. Later, starts mashed rice and lentil porridge, with mashed veggies.
Both my kiddos love the Ragi and cashewnut porridge, when served warm with lots of roasted cashews on top. So, as a final touch to the Breakfast Genre, i bring you a Sathumaavu kanji using Mixed millets made at home.
This mixed millets kanji satisfies our sudden hunger pangs, and is also an easy and healthy breakfast option for adults. The kanji/porridge powder can be made ahead and refrigerated.
Here is the list of millets in English/Hindi/tamil
|Name of the Millet||Hindi||Tamil|
|Proso Millet||Barri||Pani Varagu|
The below given measurements makes a 200 grams bottle of kanji powder, which will last you a week-full, if you are making this everyday.
Totally healthy, preservative free and since i have made this using organic millets, i can also add chemical free
Mixed millets kanji/porridge
- Pan for roasting
- Mixie/spice grinder for grinding the powder
- sauce pan for making the porridge
- 2 tablespoon varagu arisi /Kodo millet
- 2 tablespoon Thinai arisi /foxtail millet
- 2 tablespoon saamai arisi /Little millet
- 2 tablespoon Kuthiraivaali /Barnyard millet
- 2 tablespoon chutney dal/Potukadalai /Roasted gram
- 2 tablespoon badam /almonds
To make the porridge
- 2 tablespoon porridge powder
- 1.5 cups milk i use full fat
- 2 teaspoon sugar or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom powder
- a generous sprinkle of cinnamon powder
- chopped almonds and raisins for garnish
- Dry roast all the millets together. Keep the flame medium while roasting and it should turn golden brown and you should get the toasting aroma of the millet
- Take care not to over roast them or burn them, or else it the kanji might turn bitter.
- To the hot roasted millets, add almonds and roasted gram. Let it cool for 10 minutes.
- Take the ingredients in a mixer and grind it to a fine powder. Do not grind it continuously, as we have added almonds,there is a chance it will release oil and the power might clump.
- Once ground, let the powder cool a bit and store the powder in an air-tight container.
To make the porridge
- Heat milk in a sauce pan, Add cardamom powder and sugar to the boiling milk.
- Mix the kanji/porridge powder in ¼ cup of water and make a thin liquid.
- Reduce the flame and add the kanji/porridge liquid to the milk, in thin stream. Stir well, a whisk would be better here, and cook in a slow flame until the kanji thickens.
- Take it off the stove and transfer it on to a bowl. sprinkle cinnamon, garnish with raisins and almonds and serve warm.
I m not a Doctor or a Nutritionist The Nutrition information provided above comes from the plugin and is only an estimate.
All it takes is 10 minutes to make this porridge mix and you don't need any fancy equipment to grind. So make this healthy and hearty porridge and enjoy a sumptuous morning meal.