Ragi malt/porridge is a sweet porridge with cashew and coconut , a healthy breakfast drink with goodness of millets and nuts.
This is ragi malt/porridge breakfast can pass the dessrrert test too. Yes, ragi malt, is such a delight to taste in the morning. That too the way i make it, with some cashew nuts, cardamom and coconut it tastes like payasam/kheer for breakfast.
Both my kids love such sweet delights. As i was clicking this post, my lil one is waiting patiently near me to get his share of ragi malt. Though my elder one is a bit hesitant to porridge like breakfast, i cheat him with some grated chocolate on top and he is one happy kid. Chocolate makes everything good.
What is in the porridge?
The porridge is made with ragi flour or finger millet flour. Finger millet is a nutritious millet with natural calcium that helps strengthening bones in growing children. It is one of the best weaning foods in babies.
Cashews and coconut adds a rich taste and texture to the porridge. Sugar to sweeten, which can be replaced with jaggery or sweetener of your choice.
i have used cardamom to flavor the porridge, you can also use cinnamon/cloves/ginger all the warm spices to make it more fragrant.
- Sauce pan
- Mixie/spice grinder to grind cashews and coconut
- 2 tablespoon ragi flour finger millet flour
- 1.5 cups milk i use full fat
- ¼ cup water
- 1.5 tablespoon sugar sweetener of your choice
- roasted cashew nuts for garnish
To be ground into a powder
- 4-5 nos cashew-nuts
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated coconut
- 2 nos cardamom pods
- Dry roast ragi flour in a pan until nice and toasty. There will be a slight color change after it is toasted well. Let it cool for 2 minutes.
- Take the ingredients given "To be ground" in a mixer and grind it to a coarse mix
- Add water to the the toasted ragi flour, mix well without any lumps, add this to milk. Add the ground coconut-cashew powder also to the milk.
- Heat this milk in a simmer flame, stirring often to avoid lumps. The mixture will start boiling and thicken. Add sugar and mix well.
- Let it thicken to porridge consistency, will take around 5- 8 minutes after milk starts to boil.
- Another way to check the done-ness , is when the malt coats the back of the spoon well, then it is ready. Take it off the heat.
- Serve warm garnished with toasted cashew-nuts.
I m not a Doctor or a Nutritionist The Nutrition information provided above comes from the plugin and is only an estimate.
- You can replace the sugar in the recipe with jaggery or date syrup.
- If you want to omit sugar completely, try grinding 3 or 4 dates along with coconut and cashew-nuts and add it to the malt.