Nellikaai more, a refreshing yoghurt smoothie with amla, Indian gooseberry and spices. The best summer drink, that refreshes both your mind and body.Jump to Recipe
When i did my Amla in Brine/Uppu nellikaai recipe, I promised to post gooseberry recipes during the weekend for this whole month. But I got busy with some other work and blog look a back seat. So this week, I m planning to clear that backlog.
Table of contents
Amla - Indian Super Food
Amla, known as Indian gooseberry, aptly fits the jargon "small is powerful". The benefits Gooseberry/amla/nellikaai are endless. This super fruit is abundant in Vitamin C and used in treating high cholesterol, diabetes, upset stomach, eye problems, joint pain, diarrhea, dysentery, obesity, and much more.
More in Tamil language means thinned buttermilk. So, the term Nellikaai more means Thinned buttermilk made with amla/indian gooseberries.
I love to include lot of gooseberries in our regular food. This delicious and colorful amla & carrot chutney and amla coconut chutney is our favorite and regular at home. This finger-licking amla jam, is both healthy and delicious.
📜 The Story
Maybe all these information was well known to The Tamil King Adhiyaman Neduman Anji, one of the 7 great patrons of art and literature(கடை ஏழூ வள்ளல்கள்). A rare variety of gooseberry that grows on a cliff in his country, that is unreachable to any human and said to extend one's life expectancy, was gifted to him by a hunter.
But such a great lover of Tamil he is, instead of having it for himself he gifted it to Tamil Poet Avvaiyaar. He said, many kings might come and go, but a great poet like her should live and do more do the language and to its art and literature.
I m not sure, is Tamil as a language seeing that prosperity and cherished for its richness, but the gooseberry as a fruit to improve one's overall good health, is definitely the same.
📋 The Ingredients
- Amla, Nellikaai/gooseberry, the hero of the recipe. Try to pick berries that doesn't have any brown spots.
- Yoghurt, I have used full fat yoghurt in my recipe. I don't recommend using low-fat. I haven't tried this recipe with vegan options.
- Chili, i have used 1 green chili, it is purely optional. Chili does add a zing to the smoothie
- Curry leaves and mint leaves, do not miss them. Curry leaves add lot of health quotient, they are very good for controlling cholesterol and gives you beautiful black tresses. Mint leaves add lot of flavor to the smoothie
- Salt and water, salt adds taste and water helps it to the required consistency.
💭 How to make Amla smoothie
Please check recipe card below for exact measurements of each ingredient used and also for the detailed instructions.
- Wash the amla well with water, deseed and chop them into small pieces.
- Take the chopped amla along with curry leaves, green chili, mint in a mixer/blener and make a paste.
- To this paste, add yoghurt, salt and water. Blend until smooth and frothy. Serve immediately.
If you have tried this recipe and like it, give it a star rating or let me know in the comments below. You could also share it with me on Instagram using #icampinmmykitchen and tagging me @priyasrinivasan.
You could follow me and my recipes on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | twitter
🍹 More Smoothies
Nellikaai More |Gooseberry Smoothie |Amla Recipe
- Blender or Indian style mixie
- 3 nos Gooseberry/amla
- 1 no green chili optional
- ¾ cup yogurt/yoghurt/curd
- ¾ cup water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- few curry leaves
- few mint leaves
- Wash the gooseberry/amla well in water. Chop them, removing the stone/seed inside. I just cut them along the wedges.
- Take the chopped amla, curry leaves, chili, mintleaves together in a mixer. Grind well to a paste. If needed add 2-3 tablespoon ofwater and grind well.
- Take the ground paste along with yogurt, water, and salt. Blend well using a hand blender until nice and frothy.
- Pour them in glasses and serve. This can also be refrigerated and served later. If serving after refrigeration, mix well and serve.
I m not a Doctor or a Nutritionist The Nutrition information provided above comes from the plugin and is only an estimate.
Enjoy this refreshing Nellikaai more/Amla smoothie as a breakfast or anytime snack. I love to enjoy this smoothie as my post-workout snack.