Today’s recipe is a very simple Lentil Soup. We make it every day @ home,but never knew it has got a name and is also called a soup, not until i got Sanjeev Kapoor’s Dal and Kadhi CookBook. Osaman, Clear lentil soup, which can be made from both Tuvar Dal and Whole Moong dal. Today i have made it with Tuvar dal. Thin and Watery, with the taste of lemon,it is soothing for both throat and stomach.
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp freshly chopped coriander
Salt to taste
2 tbsp oil
a large pinch of hing/asafoetida
- Wash tuvar dal and soak in 2 cups of water for about an half an hour. Drain, add five cups of fresh water and salt and pressure-cook for 3-4 whistles or until done.
- Strain the cooked dal and reserve the stock. Use the dal to make some other dish. I used mine with little more water to make rasam.
- Grind ginger and green chilies to a fine paste. Stir one tbsp of water into the paste.
- Heat oil in a pan, Splutter mustard seed, add hing, cumin, cloves, cinnamon, pepper corns, curry leaves, ginger-chili paste.
- Next add the dal stock and stir. Add the turmeric powder and stir again. Adjust salt and add jaggery
- Just before serving, add lemon juice or cut a small rind of the lemon and add it to the soup and garnish with coriander leaves and Serve Hot.