Today's recipe is a very simple Lentil Soup. We make it every day @ home,but never knew it has got a name and is also called a soup, not until i got Sanjeev Kapoor's Dal and Kadhi CookBook. Osaman, Clear lentil soup, which can be made from both Tuvar Dal and Whole Moong dal. Today i have made it with Tuvar dal. Thin and Watery, with the taste of lemon,it is soothing for both throat and stomach.
1 Cup Tuvar Dal/Pigeon pea
½ inch ginger
2 green chilies
2 tablespoon jaggery
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon freshly chopped coriander
Salt to taste
2 tablespoon oil
a large pinch of hing/asafoetida
½ teaspoon Mustard seeds
½ teaspoon cumin seeds
1 inch cinnamon
5-6 black peppercorns
2 sprigs of curry leaves
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- Wash tuvar dal and soak in 2 cups of water for about an half an hour. Drain, add five cups of fresh water and salt and pressure-cook for 3-4 whistles or until done.
- Strain the cooked dal and reserve the stock. Use the dal to make some other dish. I used mine with little more water to make rasam.
- Grind ginger and green chilies to a fine paste. Stir one tablespoon of water into the paste.
- Heat oil in a pan, Splutter mustard seed, add hing, cumin, cloves, cinnamon, pepper corns, curry leaves, ginger-chili paste.
- Next add the dal stock and stir. Add the turmeric powder and stir again. Adjust salt and add jaggery
- Just before serving, add lemon juice or cut a small rind of the lemon and add it to the soup and garnish with coriander leaves and Serve Hot.
Adding jaggery is new... Bookmarked
Corporate to Kitchen
The soup looks so good. I feel like sipping some:)
Soup looks lovely with the lemon rind
i love these kind of clear soups, nice soup
This looks so so yummy! Love the clicks 🙂
wow, loving it. Please do send your delicious and healthy dish to my "Healthy Me & Healthy Us" event @ my blog (read the rules please)
ooh ! what a lovely idea of tempering the soup with Indian spices.. will try this out tomorrow.. I too make this, sans the lemon of course..
Love it's dal soup..
The soup looks wonderful, and love the presentation.Oosaman can be made from whole moong also.
My World My Home
Wow...yummy & healthy soup
Sound almost like our rasam na, love the addition of jaggery and indian spices here..Wonderful clear soup Priya.
Soup looks awesome...Must be sweet and spicy
Delicious lentil soup, looks like rasam.
Love indian soups 🙂 this one is sure flavorful
Love this clear soup..Looks so comforting..
Similar to rasam, with a little sweet added. Yep smoothing to stomach.
love this one....a light soup with beans
Priya, your picture has come out so well!..very nice..
Yummy... Lovely soup
Perfect on a wintry evening..lovely click too.
comforting soup,looks so tempting and loved the way you presented the soup..
Will give this a try, sounds flavorful and so Indian. 🙂
BTW, the recent pics have been really good. Why don't you publish them in a bigger size?
thanks suma, trying to change the template let me see!!!
What a comforting and rib sticking good soup. Sounds so comforting.
Looks like a super comforting soup Priya. I love the soup bowl so much...
love the tempering...looks very inviting!!!