According to WIKI: Idiyappam is culinary specialty in Kerala, Sri Lanka, Tamil Nadu and coastal areas of Karnataka The name idiyappam derives from the Tamil words idi, meaning ‘broken down’, and appam, meaning “pancake”.
1 teaspoon Oil
- Dry roast the finger millet/ragi flour 2-3 minutes. Take care not to burn the flour. The flour will slightly change color while roasting. Transfer the flour into another bowl.
- While the flour is roasting, boil water with salt and hing. Add this boiling water to the ragi flour little by little and mix with a spoon. Take care since both the flour and the water will be hot.
- Cover and let it sit for few minutes, until it is warm enough to touch. Add a teaspoon of oil to this and knead well to get a soft dough.
- Divide the dough into 4 portions. Grease the idly plate, Take one portion of the dough into the idyappam press and make swirls of dough in a circular portion in the idly mould.
- Steam cook for 10-15 minutes. I used my pressure cooker without the whistle for steaming. Once steamed, removed the idly plate out of the cooker, let it sit for 5 mintues to cool.
- Then unmould the idiyappam on to a plate, repeat this with rest of the dough. Serve it hot with Coconut Milk or with some sugar and fresh coconut sprinkled over it.
- The usual accompaniment is coconut milk, but i had it with Moong dal tiffen sambhar.