Stuffed idly, south-indian idly stuffed with spicy vegetable masala. Simple rice cakes elevated to another level by stuffing your choicest filling, steam cooked and served with an assortment of condiments.
Idly, the best breakfast made ever! Ask any south-indian, we love our idlies and dosa’s, we cannot live without idly batter in our fridge. Stuffed idlies is something, which i make, when i have sour idly batter, the spicy, masala veggies stuffing, masks the sourness in the batter and makes it delicious.
Whenever i want to give something new for my kids lunchbox, i give them for their dinner first. Once approved, it gets to their lunchbox. I cannot stand food waste, i don’t mind them eating less. This masala idly was packed after one such experiment.
Idly Varieties to try
Stuffed Idly|Masala Stuffed Idly
For the idly
- Idly batter as required
- gingely oil to grease the plates
For the stuffing
- 1 no medium sized onion finely chopped
- 1 no capsicum thinly sliced
- ½ a carrot finely chopped
- 1 no medium sized tomato finely chopped
- 1 no green chili
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp grated ginger
- ½ tsp salt or to taste
- 2 tsp oil any vegetable oil
- ¼ tsp mustard seeds
- a pinch of turmeric powder
- a sprig of curry leaf, torn into pieces
- Heat a sauce pan, heat oil given under tempering, splutter mustard seeds, add asafoetida, and curry leaves.
- Next add chopped onions and green chili, saute until onions turn translucent
- Now add chopped tomatoes, turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder and salt and cook until tomatoes turn mushy.
- Now dump all the chopped veggies, add 1/4 cup of water and salt. Cover and cook until done.
- There should be no liquid in the filling. Even after cooking, if there is still liquid, cook without cover until all the liquid is absorbed. Let the filling cool completely
Let us make Stuffed idly
- Grease the idly plates with gingely oil, fill half the mould with idly batter, spoon 2-3 tsp of filling into each hole, now top it with another ladle of batter.
- Steam cook for 15 minutes. Once done, let it cool for 2-3 minutes, then unmould the idlies onto a serving plate.
- The idlies can also be made in one single big plate. if you make it one single plate, cut and pack as wedges.
- Pack or serve them with a generous drizzle of gingely oil/ ghee with idly podi on top
- The stuffing should be dry or else i will not steam well with the idly.
- While filling the idly plates make sure you fill them halfway first, add the stuffing and pour remaining batter on top of the stuffing.
- Do not fill the idly mould more than its capacity, it will overflow and the idlies might not look pleasing to the eyes, though they might steam and taste well.
- You can make the filling with veggies of your choice.
If you have tried this recipe and like it, give it a star rating or let me know in the comments below. You could also share it with me on Instagram using #icampinmmykitchen and tagging me @priyasrinivasan
You could follow me and my recipes on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | twitter
These Stuffed idlies can be served as part of breakfast or brunch. They make a great appetizer in parties and get together. Make them ahead and reheat them just before serving.