1 cup varagu arisi/Kodo Millet
2 nos medium-sized onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 medium-sized carrot, grated
3 nos green chilies, slited lengthwise
1/4 cup frozen peas
1/2 tsp freshly pounded coriander powder
Salt to taste
2 tsp groundnut oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
Hing and turmeric, two pinches each
A sprig of curry leaf
- Dry roast the varagu arisi in a kadai/pan until they turn slightly brown. The grains will flower up and become bit crisp, this helps in getting a fluffy upma. Transfer the roasted grains in to a separate plate.
- In the same pan, heat oil given under “tempering”. Splutter mustard seeds, add hing, turmeric and curry leaves. Saute for a minute.
- Next add chopped onions and garlic. Saute until onions turn translucent. Add frozen peas and grated carrots to this and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add 2.5 cups of water and salt. Let the water come to a rolling boil, add the roasted varagu arisi to this, mix well. Cover and cook for 12-15 minutes in a medium flame or until the varagu arisi is completely cooked.
- When it is done, remove the cover, add the coriander powder mix well and cook until the liquid is almost absorbed and the upma is fluffy.
- Serve hot garnished with fresh coriander leaves, along with plain curd.