I feel like, i m writing a post after a very long time, but it is just a week or so since my last post. We had a small get together at my place with few of our friends and hubby's colleagues. It was so much fun and noise after a long time. Kids had a good time.
The next day when i set to clean, i found quite a few banana's. Now how much can we eat? So, they were destined to go into a bake. Recently me and hubby are avoiding sugary food and trying to get into healthy eating habit. Since i already decided it to be a bake, i wanted to try baking without white sugar. Thanks to my pantry, i had a bottle of date syrup. I tweaked banana walnut muffins recipe and these muffins. They came out so soft and fluffy, kuttu gorged on them without knowing they are made of date syrup, trust me, none would believe unless you reveal it.
½ cup Whole Wheat flour (i used QFM brand)
½ cup All purpose flour
2 nos banana (i used Chiquita variety)
½ cup dates syrup or (10-12 dates soaked in warm water for 10 minutes and made into a paste)
¼ cup of oil
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ cup of chopped walnuts
¼ cup of chopped walnuts
a generous pinch of cinnamon
a pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 180C.. Line a muffin pan with liners and keep it ready, i used my 6-cup muffin tray and one more silicon muffin mould.
- Sift together both the flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Add the chopped walnuts to this and mix well.
- In another bowl, take the bananas, mash them well with help of a fork. To this mashed bananas add date syrup and oil. Mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix it together with a spatula. Fill up the muffin cup until ⅔ rd. I filled it up ¾ and they did spill out a bit and have that muffin top. To avoid that and get a even shaped top, use 6-cup muffin tray + 2 silicon moulds and fill them up till ⅔ -rds.
- If you prefer, you can top the muffins with some chopped walnuts, i didn't because my kids don't like top studded muffins, puts them off immediately.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 22-25 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Take it out of the oven, let it sit on a wire rack to cool a bit and serve.
Sending this to Anniversary Mela & Come,join us for breakfast, happening @ +srivalli jetti's space and Kids Delight - Snacking all the way, happening @ +Sandhya Ramakrishnan's space, event by +Srivalli Jetti.
Hi, thanks for the super yummy healthy recipe. I plan to bake this as a cake for my parent's wedding anniversary. Could u guide me regarding size of pan, temp, time etc for this...thanks again 🙂
Hi arthi, thanks for stopping by. My previous bakes with 1 cup flour, i have used an 8 inch and an 5 inch pan. An 8 inch pan must give a decent height cake, a 5 inch on the other hand must give a good height but a smaller diameter cake.
Regarding the temp, you can reduce it to 160/170C and bake for 40-50 mins. Hope this helps, if still in doubt, try a half the quantity as sample, it must come out good!!! Advance Anniversary wishes to your parents, do let me know how it comes
I halved the ingredients and it has come out so well. The cake is really soft and yummm. My 6yr old son had 3 slices!! Just the right amount of sweetness. Thanks, am definitely baking this again 🙂
Thanks for the feedback Arthi, if possible do share the picture. Glad that you loved it!!!
The cupcakes look amazingly soft! And love that it is naturally sweetened! Good one Priya...
Motions and Emotions
healthy banana flavoured muffins...
Chronicles of a Nomad
I just made this today.. made a tea cake instead of muffins, added melted unsalted butter instead of oil and added 1 tbsp of milk to mash the bananas since they were a bit firm. I also added blueberries and very dark chocolate chunks. It was one of the yummiest cakes I've baked.. This one is going to be a regular in our house..
Chris Daniel (London)
WONDERFUL! Thanks Priya, what a fantastic recipe. I made it with my 2 year old. Making it was simple and great fun. They turned out delicious.
-For flour we just used 1 cup wholemeal;
-Instead of walnuts we used poppy seeds;
-We made the date syrup as per the instructions.