I sometimes mix and match dals, use half of masoor dal and moong dal or use toor dal along with this, but the method remains the same. The seasoning and masala changes if i use tuvar dal, will share the recipe here soon.
I use my trusty pressure cooker for making dal. Dump everything together, whistle!!! Then finally do the tadka. A fool-proof method i follow every-time.
But there are times, when i pre-cook dal and refrigerate or have some extra dal stored after making a dish, those times, i use this stove-top method. Since the dal is already cooked, all we have to do is cook the veggies, which takes hardly 10-15 minutes. I always stock, 2 or 3 ziploc of precut mixed veggies in my freezer for lazy days. So, with a bit of planning cooking becomes easy.
Most of us have a 3 or 4 burner gas stove these days, Cooking rice in one, dal in the other, in 30 minutes you can serve a scrumptious meal. When i say this, some of my friends, tease me saying “nothing is difficult for me”, but seriously cooking isn’t rocket science, just think in your head, and do with your heart!
1 cup mixed vegetables (i have used 1 potato, ½ a carrot, handful of cauliflower florets, handful of ashgourd)
1 teaspoon coriander powder
¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
3 tablespoon freshly grated coconut (optional)
½ teaspoon freshly grated ginger
Salt to taste
- Wash dal and Pressure cook it with 2 cups of water and a pinch of turmeric for 3 whistles. Let the pressure fall on its own. Remove the dal and set aside until use. Dal can be cooked the night before and refrigerated, to ease cooking the next day morning.
- While the dal is cooking, prepare the vegetables. In a large saucepan, heat oil, splutter mustard seeds, garlic, hing and curry leaves. Next add cumin. After adding cumin, immediately add tomatoes and green chili. Saute the tomatoes for 2 minutes.
- Now add all the chopped veggies, saute for a minute. Next add red chili, coriander and turmeric powder. Add ½ cup of water, mix well. Cover and cook for 10-12 minutes for the vegetables to cook.
- After the said time, remove cover, add salt, fresh coconut and mix. Now add the cooked dal to this. Add another ½ cup of water, mix well. Let this come to a boil and cook for another 8-10 minutes for the flavors to mingle well.
- Check the consistency of dal, if you feel it is thick, add another ¼ cup of water and boil for 2 minutes. Finally add ginger and garnish with coriander leaves and remove from heat.
- Serve warm along with rice and a generous drizzle of ghee. I paired it along with capsicum zunka for a scrumptious meal.
Using Pressure cooker
- Take dal, vegetables, coconut, together in a Pressure Cooker. Add 3 cups of water to it. Add red chili, turmeric and coriander powder and mix well. Pressure cook for 3-4 whistles. Let the pressure release on its own.
- once the pressure releases, open the cooker and check the consistency of the dal, if it is too thick, add 1/ 2 cup of water and mix well. If you feel it is too runny, let it simmer for 10-12 minutes.
- Now for the tadka, Heat oil/ghee in a kadai, Splutter mustard seeds, cumin seeds, add hing and curry leaves.
- Add garlic, ginger and green chilies, let it sizzle, pour the sizzling tadka over the dal.
- Remove from stove, garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve Hot with Rice or Idly/Dosa/Chapathi
Healthy and delicious dhal,perfect for roti and rice…
Healthy dal. Looks delicious too.
Wat a comforting thick dal,yummy..
Yummy and delicious dal with veggies. perfect with papad.
looks super delicious and healthy!!
Lovely combo of veggies and dal..
healthy recipe like to have this with rice and little ghee..
super tempting dish.
tempting delicious recipe.
True.. Rice and Dal are ultimate comfort food for us too. Great updated shots
I guess this is the favourite combo of most Indians . Most of us follow the same method of cooking Daal in pressure cooker , which is such a blessing . This complete meal is comforting and that ghee … wow ! That click is awesome .
Dal and rice is comfort food for most of us. I usually mix dals to make a different kind of dal. I get bored with the same old dal.
The Pumpkin Farm
priya – that ghee picture is tempting me to make this dal right away
Dal is equal to pressure cooker. I don't think even I know any other way of cooking it! 🙂 I would have loved daal daily but the folks at home would frown – I hate them for that! 😉 Lovely curry with vegetables… that last shot with the pouring of ghee is super!
Filling and yummy dal. Love all the clicks.
Tasty looking masoor dal with veggies. Your new back drops are beautiful.
the photos are awesome – perfect comfort food
I noticed this dal in the zunka post and was thinking to myself that it looked like such a comforting meal.