Today’s Color theme : Pink, i give you a simple and delicious stir-fry of beets. Beets Stir-fry, this post is long overdue. These Pink beauties are full of health benefits, they contain fiber and potassium and is an excellent source of fol-ate.
According to Wiki : Beetroot is a rich source of potent antioxidants and nutrients, including magnesium, sodium, potassium and vitamin C., and betaine, which functions by acting with other nutrients to reduce the concentration of homocysteine, which has been suggested to be harmful to blood vessels and thus contribute to the development of heart disease, stroke, and peripheral vascular disease.
I know kids don’t prefer this veggie, i normally hide this with Dal and Rasam to feed my kiddo, but with a bright color like this , it is hard to hide and with so much nutrients it is ever harder to avoid.
3 Medium Size Beetroots
3 tbsp Freshly grated coconut
Salt to taste
1-2 tsp Oil
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
3 nos Red Chilies, i used long variety broken into 2
2 Sprigs of curry leaves
Hing/Asafoetida, Turmeric each a pinch
- Peel the Beertoots and Chop them into roundels first. Then cut each roundel into small cubes.
- Heat Oil given under “Tempering” in a pan splutter mustard seeds,broken red chilies, curry leaves, hing and turmeric.
- Once the leaves turn a bit crisp, add the chopped beetroots and saute for a minute or two.
- Add freshly grated coconut and a Cup of water. Add salt and mix well.
- Cover and Cook for 12-15 minutes or until the beetroot is cooked. It will take a bit longer for the beets to cook, so be a little patient.
- Once Cooked, remove the cover and cook until all the moisture is absorbed and the curry/subzi is Dry.
- Serve it Warm with Rice, goes well with a Tangy gravy and Rice.