Since I made this for my kids, it will be mildly spiced, if you are making it for adults adjust the spice accordingly.
1/2 cup basmati rice, i used Tilda basmati
4 tbsp mint leaves
4 tbsp fresh coriander leaves
1 clove of garlci
1 green chili
1/4 tsp red chili powder
1/2 tsp coriander powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp salt or to taste
1 tbsp oil
1 small bayleaf
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
1 small green cardamom
- Wash rice with water, until it runs clear. Do ot waste the rice-washed water, if you have plants in your balcony or backyard, you can water them with this water.
- Soak the rice for 15 minutes, drain and keep aside until use. Take coriander and mint leavs along with chili, garlic in a blender, add 2 tbsp of water and blend smooth.
- Heat oil in a wide pan, when it is hot, add clove, bay leaf and cardamon and saute for 30 seconds, then add cumin. After adding cumin, immediately add the blended green paste and saute for a minute.
- Now add rice to this and 1.5 cups of water. I washed the blender with 1/2 cup of water and added that water too. Add red chili, coriander, turmeri powder and salt to this. Mix well.
- When it begins to boil, cover and cook for 10-12 minutes or until done. It was done in 13 minutes for me.
- REmove the cover, fluff it up with fork, serve warm with raita or some crisps for a scrumptious meal.