Poha-oats and peanut ladoo, vegan energy balls made with rice flakes, oats and peanuts. A gluten-free, no white sugar, on the go snack.
These ladoos have made quite a round among-st my friends during Diwali. I made these energy balls few years back for a friend who was visiting from US. The laddu was such a hit, i have made them often for gifting to my friends and also for my kiddos snack box.
These Poha & Oats Ladoo or energy balls whatever you call them, are a quick snack to grab anytime. The nuts used in them give an instant boost in energy and also keep us satiated for a longer time.
I have used cane jaggery in the recipe instead of white sugar, which also adds up to the health quotient. These homemade quick to make snacks are always a better option than the store-bought sugary snacks.
These Oats and nuts ladoo/energy balls is a vegan, gluten-free and a healthy snack even for a diabetic. If you wish to add ghee, add a spoon or two, but they taste yum, without any fat. The peanuts, can be replaced with any nut of your choice, the prime fat here is the Nut butter, so have loads of it!
- Poha or Rice flakes, I have used white rice flakes to make these nut ladoos you can also use brown variety.
- Oats, i have used rolled oats for the energy balls, quick cooking oats can also be used.
- Nuts, i have used peanuts and almonds in the ladoo. You can use any nuts of your choice.
- Jaggery, i have used cane jaggery in the recipe instead of white sugar
- Spices, Cardamom and cloves are used to add flavor to the ladoo.
Poha, Oats & Peanuts ladoo
- Indian style mixie or food processor
- 1 cup Poha Flattened rice flakes
- 1 cup regular rolled oats quick cooking oats can also be used
- 1 cup skinless peanuts
- ¼ cup almonds
- ½ cup cane jaggery instead of white sugar, can be substituted with brown sugar
- 5 nos cardamom pods, seeds alone
- a pinch of clove powder or edible camphor
- Dry roast oats, poha, almonds and peanuts, each separately. While dry roasting, keep the flame in medium and keep stirring frequently to avoid burning of the ingredients. Let the ingredients cool completely.
- Take poha, oats and cardamom together in a mixer or your food processor and grind it to a fine powder. Keep aside until use.
- Now take roasted peanuts and almonds into the mixer or food processor and pulse it to get a fine powder. Pulse it, we first want to powder it and then mix together.
- Once the nuts are powdered, Now add the powdered oats and poha mixture to it and also the powdered jaggery and grind again for a minute or two.
- While grinding, the nuts will start releasing its fat and the mixture will start clumping together.
- Transfer the contents to a flat plate, and start making balls/ladoo by taking a handful of mixture and pressing it tight in your palms.
- Store them in an air-tight container on the Kitchen counter for 2-3 days, if storing for more, i would advise to refrigerate it.
- Roasting the ingredients is important. We are dry roasting here, take care not to burn the ingredients
- I have used peanuts and almonds in the recipe. You can use equal quantities of both nuts.The nuts can be replaced with any other nuts of your choice
- If you are not particular about keeping it vegan, add 2-3 tbsp ghee/clarified butter while shaping the ladoo, for extra flavor.