Almond Shortbreads, a buttery cookie with whole wheat and almond meal. A delicious cookie for your evening tea and a wonderful gift during christmas
Shortbreads, deliciously, buttery scottish biscuits. I bet no one can resist eating just one of these uttlerly butterly delicious biscuits. My lil one is a die-hard fan of shortbreads. When my elder one was growing up, he kind of lost interest in cookies, so i completely stopped baking cookies in my kitchen.
Now lil one, likes homemade cookies, for diwali i made some nankhatais for friends, he loved them and asked me make some more for him. This sparked my interest in cookies.
The original recipe for this almond shortbreads, from Joy of baking, bakes the cookie in a tart pan and cut them into wedges, i did the same when i baked these in 2012, but today, i tried to refrigerate the dough and cut into roundels and baked them. My lil one is happy, that he got a new snack for his school snack box. These shortbreads are perfect for the festive season, as an edible gift.
The classic recipe of shortbreads, contains flour, sugar and butter. Cream butter and sugar until fluffy, incorporate the flour. Refrigerate the cookie dough, so it is easy to handle. Cut them into desired shapes and bake.
In this recipe of almond shortbread we are replacing a part of flour with almond meal. This gives the shortbread wonderful texture. Roll the cookie dough on to some almond flakes and bake for that toasty almond flavor.
Almond Shortbread | How to make Almond Shortbreads
- Convection oven
- 120 grams unsalted butter @ room temperature
- ⅔ cup Whole wheat flour
- ⅓ cup almond meal
- 2 tablespoon rice/corn flour
- ¼ cup white granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Almond flakes for topping optional
- Preheat oven to 170C. Prepare the cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Beat the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in the vanilla extract. .
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flours (wheat, almond, and corn/rice flour) and salt.
- Add this flour mixture to the butter and sugar mixture and mix just until incorporated
- The dough will be little sticky, slap the dough in a cling wrap, manage to roll it into a log and refrigerate it for atleast an hour. I did the dough in the night and baked it today morning.
- If baking immediately, then pat the cookie dough on to a tart pan, prick the top of the dough with a fork and bake in the preheated oven.
- Remove the dough on to kitchen counter, using a sharp serrated knife, cut the dough into roundels, i got around 12-13 rounds. The shape might little funny, flat at the bottom, try to adjust it in your palms to bring it to a round shape.
- Roll the top of the cookie on some flaked almonds, arrange the cookies on a parchment laid cookie sheet and bake them inthe preheated oven for 22-25 minutes
- Transfer shortbread to rack and let it cool completely on a wire rack. They mightly little soft while removing from the oven, but once they cool, they will have wonderful, crumbly texture of shortbreads.
- Once cooled, store them in an air-tight container and enjoy with your evening cuppa.
- Oven temperature, varies from oven to oven. If baking in a Gas oven, please keep an eye after 15 minutes, i have noticed my gas oven bakes quicker than my microwave convection oven.
- If planning to bake them in a tart pan, no need to refrigerate the dough, just pat the dough directly onto a greased tart pan, prick the top of the dough, and bake it in the preheated oven.
I m not a Doctor or a Nutritionist The Nutrition information provided above comes from the plugin and is only an estimate.
These delicious almond shortbreads make a wonderul snack with you evening tea and a lovely gift to your dear and near ones during festivities. With Christmas around the corner, try this nutty and butter biscuits.
More Cookie Recipes
- Cardamom Cashewnut choco-chip cookies
- Double Chocolate cookies
- Tutti-Frutti Shortbreads
- Walnut Shortbreads
If you have tried this recipe and like it, give it a star rating or let me know in the comments below. You could also share it with me on Instagram using #icampinmmykitchen and tagging me @priyasrinivasan.
You could follow me and my recipes on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | twitter
Looks delicious. Nice one.
Nice one Priya!!! Love the shortbread.
almond short bread sounds so delicious n yummy...great recipe yaar...thanks for sharing!!
OnGoing Event:kitchen Chronicles - Summer Splash
Ongoing Event : HITS~Fiber Rich Foods
The Pumpkin Farm
Hey Priya , the short bread look delicious , loved the recipe
I love all her recipes.. this looks very nice.. anything with almonds i am in 🙂
Ongoing Event : I'm The Star
chef and her kitchen
nice n delicious short bread..yumm
Another delicious treat..I am sure you have a load of baking recipes!
looks very delicious. Bookmarked
looks very delicious!
i luv this short bread to the core..thats a good recipe..
Very interesting one!
Almond short bread..smells wonderful and looks delicious.
I love shortbread cookies so much but have tried the larger version which is sliced into wedges. Making them as individual cookies makes serve in and storing easier. The almond topped cookies look gorgeous Priya.
Almond shortbreads looks absolutely incredible and so tempting to munch without any fuss. Beautifully baked.
They look amazingly crunchy! My girls love cookies but somehow I don't like baking them... I really don't know why!
That looks super yum!! Almond short breads are in my to do for so long 😉 might be I would try for Christmas.
Lovely looking almond shortbread cookies. They look so buttery and must have melted in the mouth. I am sure the kids loved them.
shortbread is one of my favorite cookies and this almond version must be so good with the nutty texture and flavor
That looks just like the ones we have in the Indian bakeries! Love the recipe and so perfect for the cookie season!
Priya must say almond shortbread cookies made with whole wheat flour really came out great. such a crumbly look, and light. Not looking dense, thanks for sharing.