Pumpkin shortbreads, a delicious shortbread made with pumpkin puree. An uber delicious snack and lovely gift for festivities.Jump to Recipe
Shortbreads, deliciously, buttery scottish biscuits. I bet no one can resist eating just one of these uttlerly buttery delicious biscuits. My lil one is a die-hard fan of shortbreads. My elder one, even as a child was not into cookies/biscuits. He prefers breads and cakes instead, he is the reason behind a long list of breads and cakes in my blog.
My Lil one he loves cookies and biscuits. Yes, of course those are 2 different things, which we will discuss in another post. His favorite grocery item would be Walkers Shortbreads. Seeing his interest, i started baking them at home.
Some Shortbread Recipes
Traditional shortbread is made with just sugar, butter and flour. To this basic recipe we can mix and match other ingredients to make our own recipe of shortbreads.
Pumpkin shortbread is made by adding pumpkin puree to the original shortbread recipe. I have used homemade pumpkin puree to make this pumpkin shortbread.
How to make pumpkin puree
- Preheat the Oven to 200C.
- Place big chunks of pumpkin on a baking tray. Keep the skin and stringy fibers. They come out easily after baking.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes. Check the done-ness, by inserting a knife/fork into the baked pumpkin, if it goes in smoothly, it is done.
- Remove the stringy fibers and seeds. Pumpkin seeds are edible, toast and enjoy them.
- Scoop out the flesh using a big spoon. Take it to a blender and blend smooth. The puree can be frozen for about 5-6 months.
- Baking the pumpkin and blending , results in a good textured and thick puree than boiling/steaming method. As the later makes the puree little loose because of water content.
Pumpkin Shortbreads | Scottish Shortbread Recipe
- Convection oven
- 1&½ cups Whole wheat flour
- ½ tsp cinnamon powder
- ½ tsp all spice powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup butter @ room temperature
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- Preheat oven to 170C. Grease a Cookie sheet with oil and line with parchment paper.
- Sift together flour, cinnamon, all-spice and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl beat butter and sugar until smooth. Add in pumpkin puree and beat until combined.
- Now add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined
- Shape the dough into a log and cling wrap it and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Remove the dough from fridge and cut in to thick circles and place it on the greased cookie sheet, leaving atleast an inch space between the cookies.
- Bake in an preheated oven for 20-22 minutes or until the sides start to brown.
- Let cool in pan for 5-10 minutes and then remove from pan and transfer to a wire rack. Let it cool completely, store it in an air-tight container.
- The above measurements might yield approximately 18-20 shortbreads, depending upon the size and thickness one shapes them.
These beautiful pumpkin shortbread makes a great snack with your evening tea and an amazing gift during festivites.
If you have tried this recipe and like it, give it a star rating or let me know in the comments below. You could also share it with me on Instagram using #icampinmmykitchen and tagging me @priyasrinivasan.
You could follow me and my recipes on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | twitter
More Pumpkin Bakes
Do you like the recipe, PIN IT
An old post posted in October, 2013, updated with new content for better engagement.