Potatoes are everyones favorite. My people are no different from this, we love potatoes in any form, crispy curry, mushy mash, with dal as kootu, in mixed rice, in vathakuzhambu or mixed vegetable sambar.
I made this aloo hariyali/Potatoes in green gravy as a side to go with Methi Poori. The combo was spot on, we loved the gravy as it was mildly spice with green chilies and coconut. Zeera/jeera added nice flavor and new color of the gravy made kiddo's more interested in tasting it more.This subzi will pair well with rice too. Try it and let me know how you liked it.
5 nos large potatoes
1 large tomato, chopped
1 large onion, chopped fine
¼ teaspoon of garam masala powder
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup freshly grated coconut
¼ cup fresh corinader leaves
4 nos green chilies
½ teaspoon cumin seeds/jeera
1 teaspoon shredded ginger
1 tablespoon oil
¼ teaspoon mustard seeds
¼ teaspoon cumin seeds
3-4 curry leaves
2 pinches of hing
2 pinches of turmeric powder
- Wash, peel and cut the potatoes into cubes. In a large saucepan, add enough water to immerse the potatoes and cook them until soft. Once done, drain and keep aside.
- Take the ingredients given under 'To Grind' in a mixer, add ¼ cup of water and grind it to a fine paste.
- Chop the onions and tomatoes and it keep ready. In a wide pan, add oil given under 'Tempering', splutter mustard seeds, crackle cumin, add curry leaves, hing and turmeric powder. To this add onions and saute until translucent. Next add chopped tomtoes and saute until they turn soft.
- Now add cooked and drained potatoes to this, mash it roughly with a potato masher. Add the ground paste, add ½ cup of water and salt to this. Mix well.
- Cover and cook for 6-8 minutes for the flavors to mingle. Remove the cover, add garam masala powder to this mix well and let it simmer for another 5 minutes. Remove it from heat and serve it hot with Roti/Poori.
Sending this to Kids Delight - Brunch Ideas, hosted by me, Event by +Srivalli Jetti
Looks so yum!..would love to have it anytime priya..
I loved the last picture. There are so many colors in there. And they all contrast so well with the white bowl.
Awesome looking potato curry. Love that coconut spice paste -- must have tasted amazing.
Here I was worrying about the veggie to make for tomorrow and I get the solution Thanks lady this is god sent especially in my house where I have just potatoes and carrots.
Yet another potato variety. I think we never get bored of potatoes, right? Sounds very flavorful.
a flavorful potato curry for sure