Silken chickpeas gravy, a spiced mash of soft chickpeas, cooked to a gravy consistency. This vegan gravy pairs well with rice and roti's.
Chickpeas gravy | Vegan mashed chickpeas | Vegan gravy with chickpeas | No onion No garlic gravy | Side dish for roti | Side dish for rice | sattvic lunch idea | Pooja Meals | Chana gravy | Mashed chana | Smooth chana gravy
There are days you feel like not cooking anything, but also cannot order outside. You crave for a simple home cooked meal without much sweat in the kitchen. Today's recipe of silken chickpea gravy comes handy for such days.
It is quick, easy and very simple to make. The gravy can be made thick or thin according to your preference. This delicious gravy can be served with both rice and roti. My kids loved it with rice, whereas my husband enjoyed it with soft phulkas.
If you are looking for some simple dal recipes to pair with your rice and roti, Try this Cholar dal, a Bengali delicacy made with chana dal or this Chana dal, simple pressure cooked chana dal, tempered with spices or this exotic Kothalor Chakoi, dal with jackfruit seeds from Indian state of Tripura
Why you would love this chickpeas gravy
This sumptuous protein rich chickpeas gravy a decade old recipe, inspired from holycow Vegan blog
- Simple and easy to make
- can be served with both rice and roti
- No extra vegetables needed, No fancy spices
- Rich in protein , Vegan friendly, Nut-free, Soy-free recipe.
- Can be easily made for a crowd.
Ingredients to make Mashed Chana Gravy
- Chickpeas : You can use a can of chickpeas or soak raw chickpeas overnight and pressure cook them soft and use it for the gravy. I have used canned chickpeas.
- Spices : This delish chickpea gravy uses green chilies, ginger along with garam masala powder, pav bhaji masala and turmeric powder for spices.
- Tempering : I have used cold pressed groundnut oil, cumin seeds, red chilies along with fresh curry leaves for tempering.
- Garnish : A handful of fresh coriander leaves.
Instructions to make Silken Chickpea Gravy
Please check recipe card below for exact measurements of each ingredient used and also for the detailed instructions
- Drain the chickpeas and wash them once under running water. Take the drained chickpeas along with green chilies, ginger and curry leaves in a blender. Add ¼ cup of water and blend it smooth.
- Heat oil in a kadai, once hot crackle cumin, add hing and red chilies. Next add chopped tomatoes to this , add all the dry masala and salt to this. Cover and cook until tomatoes become soft.
- Once the tomatoes are cooked, add the blended chickpeas to this. Add ¼ cup water to the blender jar, wash and add that water to the pan. Mix well.
- Let this cook for another 10 minutes in a medium flame, for the flavors to mingle.
- After 10 minutes, check for consistency, if its too thick , add ¼ cup water and mix. If you feel the gravy is too thin, let it boil for few minutes to thicken.
- Once done, garnish with fresh coriander leaves. Serve it hot with rice or roti.
Silken Chickpea Gravy | Mashed Chana Gravy | Vegan
- Magic bullet blender
- 400 grams canned chickpeas
- 150 grams tomato one red juicy tomato
- 3 green chilies
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon pav bhaji masala
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- few curry leaves
- fresh coriander leaves for garnish
- 2 teaspoon cold pressed groundnut oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- ¼ teaspoon hing/asafoetida
- 2 red chilies i used curd chilies
- few curry leaves
- Drain the chickpeas from the can, take it in a colander and rinse it well in running water. Let it drain well.
- In a blender take the drained chickpeas, along with green chilies, curry leaves and ginger. Add ¼ cup of water and blend it smooth.
- In a pan, heat oil given under 'tempering', when hot crackle cumin seeds. Add red chilies, hing and curry leaves to hot oil.
- To this now add chopped tomatoes, turmeric powder, garam masala, and pav bhaji masala. Mix well.
- Add salt and ¼ cup of water to this. Cover and cook until tomatoes become soft.
- Once the tomatoes are done, add the blended chickpeas to this. Add ¼ cup water to the blender jar, wash and add that water also to the pan.
- Let this gravy cook in simmer for 10 minutes, for the flavors to mingle. Once done, check the consistency.
- If the gravy is too thick, add ¼ cup - ½ cup water to adjust the consistency. If the gravy is thin, let it boil for 5-8 minutes or until it thickens.
- Once done, take it off the stove, garnish it with fresh coriander leaves. Serve it hot with Rice and roti.
- You can also use raw chickpeas to make this. If using raw chickpeas. Soak them in water overnight or at least for 8 hours.
- Drain, add fresh water and pressure cook the chickpeas for 4-5 whistles or until soft.
- Drain the excess water and use the soft chickpeas in the recipe.
I m not a Doctor or a Nutritionist The Nutrition information provided above comes from the plugin and is only an estimate.