Bokchoy poriyal, a simple stir-fry using fresh bokchoy sautéed with green chilies and fresh coconut. A quick and easy side-dish, that pairs well with rice.Jump to Recipe
Table of contents
Poriyal, a South-Indian Stir-fry
Poriyal, tamil name given to dry curries made with vegetables. It is a simple stir-fry of any vegetable with chilies, finished with coconut. They can be called cooked salads and can be enjoyed as such without any main.
Poriyals are easy side dishes made everyday in south-indian household. It is our way of including more vegetables into our diet. For example this Kadamba poriyal, a quick stir-fry of mixed vegetables.
I love to cook greens for poriyal. The easiest way to cook them is to make stir-fry, that gets done in minutes. Like this simple Keerai Poriyal made with amaranth leaves or this Drumstick leaves poriyal . Vegetables like carrot, cabbage and cauliflower too takes just minutes to cook and tastes fresh and delish with a simple tempering of chilies and coconut.
More Dry Curry Recipes
Ingredients for Bokchoy Stir-fry
- Fresh bokchoi, the hero ingredient of this recipe.
- Spice, I have used green chilies to spice the bokchoy poriyal
- Coconut, I have used fresh coconut. Don’t skip adding coconut, it adds a wonderful aroma and taste to the pakchoi curry.
- Tempering, regular south-indian tempering spices like mustard, cumin, hing and curry leaves are used.
Follow me on Social Media
Step by Step Instructions to make Pokchoi Saute
Please check recipe card below for exact measurements of each ingredient used and also for the detailed instructions
- Chop and wash the bokchoy roughly. I first removed the end part of the bunch and removed each leaves separately, and washed them in water and drained them well. There is a good chance dirt is hidden in the folds of the leaves, so make sure to wash them well.
- Then chop the leaves roughly and keep aside.
- In a heavy bottom pan, heat oil, splutter mustard seeds, cumin, hing and curry leaves. Add chopped green chilies to this.
- Add the roughly chopped bokchoy to this and saute. Cover and cook this for 8 minutes in a medium flame. The greens as such release lot of water so do not add any water.
- Remove cover, add fresh coconut and let it be on heat until it is dry.
- Take it off heat and serve warm .
Recipe Card for Bokchoi Stir-fry
Bokchoy Poriyal | Bokchoi Stir-fry | Indian Style
- 6 nos Baby Bokchoy , (400 grams approximately) 2 packs of bokchoy each containing 3 heads
- 3 nos green chilies
- ½ cup freshly grated coconut
- 2 teaspoon oil
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds/kadugu
- ⅛ teaspoon hing/asafoetida
- ¼ teaspoon cumin seeds/jeera
- few curry leaves
- Remove small section of thick stalk at the end and separate the leaves of the bokchoy bunch and wash them well. There is a good chance of dirt inside the leaves so do not miss this step.
- Drain the washed leaves well and roughly chop them.
- Heat a pan with oil, when hot splutter mustard seeds, cumin seeds, hing and curry leaves.
- Add the chopped chilies to this hot tempering. Now add the chopped bokchoy greens to the hto tempering and mix well.
- Cover and cook for 6-8 minutes in a medium flame. The bokchoy as such leaves lot of water while cooking so do not add any water to it while cooking.
- After the specified time, remove cover, add fresh coconut to this and let it be on heat until it is almost dry.
- Take it off the stove and serve it warm with rice. I served with rice and rasam.
I m not a Doctor or a Nutritionist The Nutrition information provided above comes from the plugin and is only an estimate.
Enjoy this vibrant green stir-fry of pakchoy with rice. I served with simple rasam and rice. I prefer to enjoy stir-fry while it is still warm.
Even though, bokchoy can be enjoyed raw, i prefer to cook it slightly as I m not daring yet enjoy my greens raw.
I love bok choy and this is such an interesting way of cooking it. Will definitely try your recipe when I buy bok choy next time.
I have never seen bok-choy… or maybe I never looked at it! The stir fry looks so good…
Rafee i got them at choithrams. Even carrefour, LULU must be having it!!!
This was so delicious!!!