1 teaspoon oil
½ teaspoon oil
¼ teaspoon mustard seeds
a pinch of hing/asafoetida
2-3 curry leaves
1 teaspoon urad dal
- Chop onions tomatoes and capsicums roughly. Heat a sauce pan, add oil, when it is hot, add the chopped onions sauté until the onions turn translucent.
- Next add chopped tomatoes and red chilies. Sauté for a minute then add chopped capsicums, sauté for a minute again.
- Now add ½ cup of water and cover and cook for 5-8 minutes. Take it off the stove. Let it cool. I normally use my hand blender, so i puree it when it is hot, but if you are going use your mixer-grinder/blender, please wait till it cools down.
- Add salt to this and using a hand blender/blender/mixer blend it smooth by adding another ½ cup of water.
- Now for tempering, heat oil in a small tadka pan, crackle mustard seeds, add hing, curry leaves and sauté for a minute, then add urad dal to it and sauté until
- It turns golden brown. Pour this sizzling tadka over the chutney and serve it along Idly/dosa/kuzhipaniyaram.