1 large carrot, chopped into roundels
2 medium sized onion, chopped roughly
1 large tomato, chopped roughly
3 tbsp freshly grated coconut
1/2 tsp coriander seeds
1/4 tsp roasted white sesame seeds for garnish
1 tsp oil
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
a pinch of hing/asafoetida
2-3 nos curry leaves
2 nos long red chilies, broken
- In a pan, heat oil. splutter mustard seeds, add hing/asafoetida , curry leaves and red chilies. Saute for 30 seconds.
- To this tempering, add chopped onions and saute until translucent. Next add chopped tomatoes and saute until they turn a bit mushy. To this now add chopped carrots, coconut and coriander seeds, cover and cook for 6-8 minutes in a low flame. If you feel the veggies are burning, add 1/4 cup of water to it.
- Take it off the stove, let it cool completely. Add salt and Blend the ingredients with 1/2 cup of water.
- Check the consistencyof the chutney, we usually prefer thick chutneys for idlies and a little bit loose chutney for dosa.
- The chutney usually doesn’t need any tadka/tempering on top, if you prefer, add some roasted sesame seeds on top for an extra crunch.
- Serve the chutney with idly/dosa/upma. The chutney stays good when packed for school/office lunchbox/breakfast.