Curry leaves rice, a flavorsome rice dish made with curry leaf and spices. An aromatic lunch box dish, that can be made quickly.
Curry leaf, a common ingredient found in every south-indian kitchen. We have been using curry leaf and turmeric in our regular cooking, long before it piqued the interest of scientists. The term food is medicine ( Unave Marunthu ) is very true in Indian Cooking.
Karuvepilai or curry leaf is an excellent source of anti-oxidants, they help in reducing bad cholesterol, balancing insulin levels and much more. Above all, the mesmerizing aroma of karuvepilai brings an amazing flavor to the dish.
Mixed rice dishes are quick and easy recipe to make. I usually have a bowl of leftover rice in my fridge after weekend cooking. With leftover rice such mixed rice dishes gets ready in minutes. Serve this mixed rice with a simple stir fry for a complete meal.
Some interesting mixed rice dishes
- Curry leaves, i have used fresh ones you can use dried too.
- Spices, i have red chilies for the spice. Coriander seed is a must include ingredient whenever you are making a dry spice powder.
- Dal/Lentils, chana dal again is a must include ingredient when we make dry spice powder as it adds volume to the spice.\
- Tamarind, do not miss adding this, tamarind adds a nice tang to the final dish.
Curry leaves rice | Karuvepilai saadam
- 2 cups Cooked rice i have used sona masuri rice variety
- salt to taste
To Roast & grind
- 2 fistfuls curry leaves
- 3 – 4 nos red chillies
- 1 tablespoon chana dal
- 2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- a small marble-sized ball of tamarind
- salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon oil
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds/ kadugu
- 1 teaspoon urad sal
- 2 nos red chilies
- 2 tbsp broken cashewnuts
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ⅛ teaspoon hing /asafoetida
- Heat a kadai/tadka pan, dry roast chana dal,coriander seeds and red chilies. Take it off the stove. In the same pan, add the curry leaves and dry roast until crisp. Let the roasted ingredients cool for 5 minutes
- Take them in a small mixer or a spice grinder, add tamarind, pulse and grind it to a fine powder. Do not add water. We need a dry spice powder. Once done, keep aside until use.
- The curry leaves powder can be made in small batches and stored in an air-tight container. This can be used to make quick mixed rice dishes, or added to dry curries for extra flavor.
To make the rice
- In the same pan used to dry roast the ingredients, add oil given under tempering, when it is hot, add and splutter mustard seeds, add red chilies, hing, urad dal and cashewnuts.
- Once the dal and nuts turns golden brown, add the ground curry leaves powder to it and saute for a minute.
- Take it off the stove, add cooked rice to this, mix well. Adjust salt and serve warm with any raita or crisp of your choice.
If you have tried this recipe and like it, give it a star rating or let me know in the comments below. You could also share it with me on Instagram using #icampinmmykitchen and tagging me @priyasrinivasan
You could follow me and my recipes on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | twitter
This curry leaves rice is a quick and easy to make. You can either use freshly cooked rice or use up leftover rice to make this flavorsome rice dish. Serve this with a delicious brinjal fry for a delicious lunch.