If you came looking for a dosa recipe today, sorry to disappoint you!!! I couldn't abuse my brain further looking for a dosa recipe, instead i made an interesting chutney and paired with another interesting dosa that will be up for tomorrow.
I seriously didn't know spinach leaves can also be made as chutney, after this fenugreek leaves, it is going to color-color chutney with every possible vegetable and green leaves.
There is a very mild bitterness in this chutney, but that actually gives a nice flavor. We loved this chutney like the others, it is a match made in heaven, when paired with steaming hot rice and gingely oil.
My elder one loved this and Beerakaya Pachadi, more with rice, than with dosa. Do try it and let me know how you liked it.
1 bunch fenugreek leaves
¼ cup freshly grated coconut
1 large onion
2 fat cloves of garlic
3 nos red chilies
2 nos green chilies
Handful of curry leaves
Handful of fresh coriander leaves
a teaspoon of oil for sauteing
- Clean the fenugreek leaves bunch, remove the leaves separately. Discard the stalk. Wash the leaves in water to remove the dirt and sand. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat a pan, add a teaspoon of oil. Add chopped onions, red and green chilies, curry leaves, garlic cloves, and sauté until onions turn translucent
- Next add drained methi leaves and sauté until the leaves wilt, takes around 5-8 minutes.
- Take it off the stove and let it cool completely. Once cooled, take the sauteed leaves in a mixer, add coriander leaves, coconut, salt and tamarind to this and grind it to a smooth paste adding ¼ of water.
- Remove the chutney to a clean bowl. Serve it along idly/dosa or even with rice with ghee/gingely oil.