Masala pasta, a desi style pasta made in Instant pot. A delicious pasta with goodness of vegetables, made quick and easy in Instant Pot.
About the Recipe
I have been blogging from 2009, yes that long, but only recently I learnt to make good pasta. I love a good creamy pasta like this Fettucine Alfredo or white pasta Italiano. Never had the guts to make it at home.
There are certain dishes, which I fear that i can't get the same taste when made at home. I had this fear for Indian chats for long time, a block which i conquered. Thanks to blogging marathon, I push myself out of comfort zones and try new cuisines. Now Pasta dishes too fall in that category for me. Only recently I started making pasta at home regularly.
The first time I tried pasta was when I started blogging. Watching some cooking channel i tried a basic pasta. Just boiled pasta tossed with some crushed garlic and red chili. We liked the taste and the dish even made it to the blog. When I see that post today, I m shocked beyond words, and applaud my audacious self for posting a dish, that was hurriedly dumped on a plastic ikea plate and clicked with flash light on. Imagine Emily Gilmore reaction to Lorelai's jokes, you know if you watch Gilmore Girls.
Then eons after I learned to click a decent pictures of food, this Broccoli & Cheddar Pot pies happened. I still remember the creaminess of this baked pot pie with a flaky pastry on top and gooey pasta with broccoli inside. A perfect recipe for a brunch party.
Till date this colorful Pasta salad is my favorite. It is a mix and match salad, you can add cooked pasta with your choice of vegetables and legumes and enjoy it.
Instant Pot Pasta
Instant pot is my recent love. I trying to perfect the regular dishes i cook using my pressure cooker with Instant pot and I must say, I m loving it. The no whistle and no baby sitting clause of IP, excites me.
The dump and cook jargon of IP is such a craze. So, I too fell into that wagon and tried making this masala pasta with IP. It was a super hit at home. I used my regular Indian spices and added whatever vegetables I had in hand and finally finished it off with some cheese. Kids went gaga over it and this Indian style masala pasta is a regular at home.
Initially I made with regular pasta, now I use either spelt or quinoa pasta for the same recipe. My next step is to try it with gluten-free pasta.
- Pasta , I have used a combination of Spelt and Quinoa Penne Pasta. You can use normal pasta or either one of these too.
- Vegetables, I have used mixed vegetables, potato, cauliflower, beans and carrots.
- Spices, I have used tomatoes, mint, chilies and coriander as a base sauce and garam masala as flavor enhancer.
- Cheese, what is pasta without cheese. i have used some cheddar cheese as final garnish to the pasta.
Step by Step Instructions to make Desi Style Pasta
Please check recipe card below for exact measurements of each ingredient used and also for the detailed instructions
- Wash and chop all the vegetables needed. In a blender or in your food processor, blend together tomatoes, green chilies, mint, coriander and ginger to a sauce.
- Start the Instant Pot in saute mode. Add oil, when hot, add this tomato and chili sauce to it and saute.
- To this saute, add turmeric powder, garam masala, pav bhaji masala and salt. Tip in all the vegetables and saute to coat them with all that masala.
- Dump the pasta and add water to this. Water level should be just to immerse all the veggies and pasta. Do not add more water.
- Close the Instant pot. Cancel saute mode and press pressure cook and set the timer for 5 minutes. I use Instant Pot Duo plus, if you have to turn the valve or any extra steps, kindly follow that.
- Let the IP release pressure naturally for 8 minutes then Quick release pressure. Open the lid, mix the pasta and add cheddar cheese to this. Serve this masala pasta warm.
If you have tried this recipe and like it, give it a star rating or let me know in the comments below. You could also share it with me on Instagram using #icampinmmykitchen and tagging me @priyasrinivasan.
You could follow me and my recipes on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | twitter
Instant Pot Masala Pasta | Desi Style Pasta | Instant Pot Recipe
- Instant Pot
- 400 grams Penne Pasta I have used 250 grams Spelt pasta, 150 gram quinoa pasta
- 2 cups Mixed vegetables Potatoes, cauliflower, carrots and beans
- 3 tablespoon oil
- ½ teaspoon paav bhaji masala
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- ⅛ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 100 grams cheddar cheese grated/shaved
For the Sauce
- 1 no medium sized tomato
- 3 nos green chilies
- ½ inch piece of ginger
- handful of fresh coriander leaves
- handful of fresh mint leaves
- few curry leaves
- In a food processor jar, take the chopped tomatoes, chilies, ginger, mint, coriander and curry leaves and process it into a sauce. Keep aside until use.
- Wash and chop the vegetables, as mentioned i have used potatoes, cauliflower, carrots and beans. My kiddos don't like peas, so I haven't used them.
- Start the Instant pot in sauté mode. Add oil, when hot, add the prepared tomato-chili sauce to this and sauté for a minute.
- To this sauce, add pav bhaji masala, turmeric powder, garam masala and salt. Mix well.
- To this now add the vegetables. Mix well so the sauce nicely coats the vegetables. Now tip in the pasta. Mix well.
- Now add 4 cups of water. The water must, just cover the vegetables and pasta and not way above the level.
- Cancel the saute mode of the IP. Close the lid and set the timer to 5 minutes. I use Duo plus, there is no adjusting valve settings here, incase you have to follow some steps there, please do accordingly.
- After the said 5 minutes of cooking, let the IP release pressure naturally for 8 minutes. Then use Quick pressure release.
- Open the IP then add the shaved/shredded cheddar cheese to this and mix well.
- Serve this delicious masala pasta warm. Enjoy the desi flavors.
I m not a Doctor or a Nutritionist The Nutrition information provided above comes from the plugin and is only an estimate.
Serve this delicious Indian style masala pasta warm. I never get any leftovers when I make this Desi style pasta.
Hi, let me know if I can publish this recipe in my emagazine DNS, DNS is promoting food bloggers from India by publishing recipes from Indian blogs based on a monthly theme giving full credit to the author/blog.
if you are ok then mail me your short bio and pasta/spaghetti recipe to email@example.com
Check my website here http://www.dinenshare.com
Using Instant pot to make various dishes is such a blessing. I am always looking for new dishes to try in IP.
This recipe sounds perfect and looks so good.
I am always looking for new ways to use my instant pot and this looks delicious. So much flavour!
Easy to make and perfect comfort food. Delicious!
WOW! This pasta recipe is amazingly delicious! I made it for our lunch today, and we loved it. I will be making it again. 🙂
Yummy! I can’t wait to make this. This dish looks so delicious and full of flavor! My family is going to love this!
I love all the veggies in this pasta, and the fact that it is made in the Instant Pot. LOVE!
Rafeeda - The Big Sweet Tooth
I always love such pasta recipes! Thankfully my girls are becoming very crazy about pasta and I try to make it at least once a week. I love how masaledaar that platter looks... Yum!
Delicious looking and mouth watering too. I love pasta any kind, Italian, Mexican style or even Indian style. The dish just screams comfort food. Can wait to try out spelt and quinoa pasta when I can source it.
Jagruti's Cooking Odyssey
Pasta is my go-to dish, so comforting and easy to prepare which gives me ample time to finish my other chores. Loving this fusion recipe that uses Indian spices.
This pasta looks so creamy and delicious love the fact it is made in IP. Definitely saves a lot of time and efforts. I have never added curry leaves though will try it next time.
Masala pasta is one of our new favorites. And instant pot made easy for all of us with quick lease and cleaning.
I also like my pasta with lots of veggies. Your instant pot version sounds so easy and the pasta looks creamy and flavorful.
Absolutely love instant pot for recipes like this. So easy to make for weeknight dinners. And when your kids love pasta and are ready to try different flavors, this is a winner.
I love making pasta in the Instant Pot - so easy and so convenient. Loved your version with pav bhaji masala and the veggies. My whole family enjoyed this a lot. Thanks for the yummy recipe.