Kootu podi, a spice mix used to flavor kootu, a South-Indian style dal with vegetables.
We have lot of kootu varieties in south-india,araichuvitta kootu, kootu made using freshly ground masala, Puli kootu, kootu made with tamarind and poricha kootu that too made with freshly ground masala, but a different spices. And regular kootu made with premade spice powder.
This kootu podi recipe is my Amma’s recipe. I have been following this for the past 15 years and my Kootu has never failed to attract appreciation. It is a simple to make and easy to remember recipe.
I use a tea cup/coffee dabara to measure the quantities while making this spice mix. This stores well in room temperature, more than a month. The below given measurements will keep you going for a month, if making only kootu. I use the same powder for my rasam too, so it lasts me just 15 days.
I don’t dry roast the ingredients, most of the spice blends needs dry roasting, but i have been using this blend for about 15 years now without roasting, the taste still remains the same, absolutely delicious.
The addition of dal gives the needed creaminess for the kootu. The recipe doesn’t include coconut, which improves the shelf life of the spice.
With this readymade kootu podi, kootu/rasam can be made in no time. It takes only 20 minutes to make any vegetable kootu in a pressure cooker with this kootu podi. With steaming hot rice and delicious kootu you can serve a well balanced meal in no time.
Kootu podi/Spice mix for kootu
- spice grinder
- ¾ cup Corinader seeds Dhaniya
- 1 cup Black peppercorns milagu
- 1½ cup Jeeragam cumin seeds
- 1 cup Tuvar dal thuvaram paruppu
- 1 cup Chana dal kadalai parupu
- ½ cup moong dal payatham paruppu
- Take all the given ingredients in a mixer/spice grinder and grind it to almost fine powder
- Dont grind it too fine, a little coarse dal, adds a great texture and taste to the Kootu or Rasam
- Once ground, transfer the spice blend to a flat plate and let it cool completely.
- Store it in an air-tight container. This spice blend can be stored at room temperature.