Dakka, Dukkah, Dukka, an Egyptian spice blend, consisting of a mixture of herbs, nuts, usually hazelnut, and spices. It is typically used as a dip with bread or fresh vegetables.
Egyptian Spice Blend | Arabic Spice Blend | Dukkah Spice | Duqqa Spice | Pounded spice with nuts | Nuts and spices | Arabic spice for dips | Spice blend for dips | Egyptian Du'aah Spice | Dukkha with hazelnuts
Duqqa : Arabic Spice Blend
Dukkah, traditional Egyptian spice blend, the name can be spelled dukkah, dukkha or even duqqa; translated from the Arabic, it means “to pound" .
The mixture of spices and nuts are pounded together after being dry roasted to a texture that is neither powdered nor paste-like. The actual composition of the spice mix can vary from family to family. There are texts that support, the use of marjoram, mint, zaatar and chickpeas as further ingredients in the mixture. Check this recipe here with chickpeas.
There are varied recipes for this versatile spice blend. But the common ingredients, are nuts, sesame, coriander, cumin, salt and black pepper. Hazelnuts are the most common nuts used, but modern variants include pine nuts, pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds, instead of hazelnuts.
How to use Dukkah
- Use it as a dip for breads. Just mix it with some olive oil or butter and you have an aromatic dip to go with breads. Here are some amazing Arabic breads to try, Lebanese Kaak bread, Yemeni Saluf, Jordanian shrak bread or a simple pita bread
- Add it to your stir-fried vegetables, check this Tacos with roasted broccoli & chickpeas stuffing, or try this Baked potatoes with ras-el-hanout, switch the Moroccan spice with Egyptian dukkha .
- If you eat meat, then this coarse spice blend adds a nice crust to your meats. Vegetarians and vegans worry not, add this to your paneer or tofu marinate and make your family wonder what is that nutty delight.
Ingredients to Make Du'aah Spice
- Nuts & Seeds : Hazelnuts & Pistachios, Sesame seeds
- Spices : Coriander seeds, cumin seeds and black peppercorns.
Some Delish Arabic Recipes to try
How to Make the Egyptian Spice Blend
Please check recipe card below for exact measurements of each ingredient used and also for the detailed instructions
- Measure and Keep all the ingredients ready. I have used the Microwave to roast the spices, you can use stove-top or the oven.
- First add the hazelnuts to an microwave dish, microwave power high for 2 minutes. Remove, stir the nuts and microwave high for another 2 minutes. Remove the hazelnuts, transfer it to another plate.
- Rub it vigorously with a kitchen towel to remove the skin. Take pistachios in the same microwave dish, Microwave power high for 2 minutes. Remove to the hazelnuts tray and let it cool down.
- Take coriander seeds and cumin seeds in the microwave safe tray. microwave high for 3 minutes. Remove to the nuts tray.
- Now take sesame seeds and black peppercorn in the same microwave safe dish, microwave power high for 2 minutes. Remove to the nuts tray.
- Let this all cool down completely. Take them together in a food processor jar or a mixer jar and pulse them together to a coarse texture.
- Let the ground mix cool down. Store it in an air-tight container.
Egyptian Dukkah | How to make Dukka | Egyptian Seasoning
- spice grinder
- ¾ cup hazelnuts
- ¼ cup pistachios
- ½ cup sesame seeds
- ½ cup coriander seeds
- ¼ cup cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoon peppercorns
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Roast each of the ingredients separately. I roasted the ingredients in the microwave, you can roast it in the oven or on the stove-top.
How to Roast the Spices in the Microwave
- In a Microwave safe round dish, first take the hazelnuts. Microwave high for 2 minutes. Remove the tray, stir the nuts well. Microwave high for another 2 minutes.
- Remove the tray. While the nuts are warm, use a kitchen towel and rub it vigorously, to remove the skin. Separate the skin and remove the nuts to a flat plate to cool down.
- In the same tray take pistachios, microwave power high for 2 minutes. Remove and add it to the hazelnuts tray to cool down.
- Now take coriander seeds and cumin seeds in the microwave safe dish, microwave power high for 2 minutes, remove the tray, stir them once and microwave high for another 1 minute
- Remove the roasted coriander and cumin to the nuts tray, to cool down. To the microwave safe dish, finally add sesame seeds and peppercorns.
- Microwave high for 2 minutes. Remove and add them to the nuts tray. Let all the roasted ingredients cool down well.
Let us Grind
- Take them together in a food processor and pulse few times to get a coarse mixture.
- Take care not to grind continuously, you will end up with a paste. Pulse the processor, to get a medium-coarse spice mixture.
- Store this spice-mix in a air-tight container and this can be used on variety of dishes.
- I prefer to refrigerate as they contain nuts.
How to use
- You can sprinkle it on regular veggies, bread, soups, or can be used to make spice-oil/butter.
- Microwave power varies from brand to brand. So always keep an eye while roasting spices.
- If you are not sure about the time and power of your microwave, roast it at high for 1 minute, check and continue.
I m not a Doctor or a Nutritionist The Nutrition information provided above comes from the plugin and is only an estimate.